XP SP2 tested?

tarquel

Hi all

I was just wondering if anyone's had any joy with integrating the SP2 for XP?

Even tho its the RC, does it matter?

If so, does it include all the hotfixes up to when it was released?

Any thoughts?

Regards,

N.

I have looked at it a bit. I had some trouble slipstreaming it, but simply used the downloadable ISO XP test version, with SP2 pre-slipstreamed. They are still playing with different ideas, and I am not going to get too invloved till at least RC2, so as not to waste time solving the same problems as Microsoft. It is at least a few months behind in hotfixes.

In any event, I certainly will not support it until Microsoft does.

It is at least a few months behind in hotfixes.

Not true. RC1 has MS04-011, MS04-012, MS04-013, and MS04-014 integrated into it.

No, I can't quote the source as this comes directly from an MS rep in the beta newsgroups and I'd get in trouble for doing so :)

@GM:

Don't let me stop you from testing XPCREATE with it now, and sharing your findings!

No problem....(u know i will hehe)

...when I get a chance - phew! have I been a busy guy this week or what hehe

@Ryan:

Good to know mate :)

Regards,

N.

I noticed tha too, now that you mention it. What I don't understand, is why it shows no updates needed, even though it came out before the May updates? MS04-15 does not show anywhere using SP2/WUV5.

What I meant, is before it is RTW, the code must be frozen for a certain time, at least a couple months, so updates will already be needed once released. Just as did the Security Rollup.

It (XP SP2 RC1 . build 2096) slipstreams perfectly into the original (non-SP1) release of winXP.

In fact, its better to slipstream that into your CD, bcos you get all the updates/add-ons and more features at one go.

Because it is RC1, i've slipstreamed it with no problem and used the SP1 deployment tools to make the winnt.sif, but in order to get the new updates i've noticed that the only way it works is through automatic update (which i hate) but still awaiting RC2... :)

I noticed tha too, now that you mention it. What I don't understand, is why it shows no updates needed, even though it came out before the May updates? MS04-15 does not show anywhere using SP2/WUV5.

What I meant, is before it is RTW, the code must be frozen for a certain time, at least a couple months, so updates will already be needed once released. Just as did the Security Rollup.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. What it comes down to is that MS is aware of these issues for quite some time before they release the patch. Patches just have to go through enormous amounts of QA testing before they can be released to the public, even if they've been in the codebase for awhile.

Still don't understand why with SP2, the May Updates do not show as needed, even though they are not in the SP2 codebase. Or are they ...

I'm pretty sure they are. Again, most of these security patches are written a month or more before they're actually released so they can go through QA testing, so it's not hard for me to believe that they just go into the SP2 codebase at the same time (since we beta testers are doing their QA for them :)).