toolbar tweaks

Are there registry entries that will let me set 1) the icon size to small AND 2) no text labels (in IE and explorer)?

Also I know there is a way to set the start menu to classic, but this method FORCES it.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]"NoSimpleStartMenu"=dword:00000001

Is there a way to do this in the registry, and still allowing for it to be changed in the Start Menu settings?

I have more registry tweak questions, but these are the only ones I can think of right now. And yes I realize there is a whole thread of registry entries, but the search function is limited, and that thread is very long.

Well I've got some more tweakin questions. Is there a registry entry that enable remote desktop?

As for my earlier request, I saw a post a day or two ago, and the user posted something to the effect of "this is what my explorer looks like right after installation", and included was a screenshot. On the screenshot, his toolbar on explorer either had small icons or no text labels. What I really want to know is, does anyone know the post I'm talking about? Perhaps I could ask the user how he got his explorer to look like that.

I'm also curious if there is a registry entry to set how much space IE uses for cache, how long it holds history and the autocomplete settings?

Sorry for all the questions. I've tried to search, and I must say the search function for these boards is horrible.

by toolbar...

are you talking about the one at the top of Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer?

if so.....

they're at

HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar","{710EB7A1-45ED-11D0-924A-0020AFC7AC4D"HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar","{1E796980-9CC5-11D1-A83F-00C04FC99D61"HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\Explorer","ITBarLayout"HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\ShellBrowser","{01E04581-4EEE-11D0-BFE9-00AA005B4383}"HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\ShellBrowser","ITBarLayout"HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\WebBrowser","{01E04581-4EEE-11D0-BFE9-00AA005B4383}"HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\WebBrowser","{0E5CBF21-D15F-11D0-8301-00AA005B4383}"HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\WebBrowser","ITBarLayout"

sure hope you can read INF. :)

Set your toolbars like you want them, then export those keys.

What Alanoll is saying is export this key after setting Internet Explorer and Explorer the way you like:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar]

Should be about 19kb.

And if it's small icons in explorer you want, the tweak is in the Registry Tweaks thread. It's a doozy of a thread, I know, so this is it:

set icon=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorerreg add %icon%\SmallIcons /v SmallIcons /d yes /f

Save as .cmd or .bat

• 2 months later...

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\SmallIcons has not worked for me in having small icons in the toolbar for Windows Explorer and IE. I believe it may be for the start menu?

I have also saved HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar and all its subkeys and values. After an XP install, the toolbar is just as I want it, except for large icons.

My bad, Regsnap shows Explorer\Advanced\Start_LargeMFUIcons to be for the start menu. Explorer\SmallIcons is for Explorer and IE toolbars, but for some reason large icons still show after merging SmallIcons=yes in an unattended install. All other toolbar settings show correctly.

May be my own mistake somewhere?

This has worked for me...

;Use small icons in both Windows Explorer and IE

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\SmallIcons]
"SmallIcons"="yes"

hope it helps

• 3 weeks later...

I've also got the same problem, in unattended setup, every tweak works fine, except that the small icon key isn't imported from the default user profile. Does anyoen know a fix for this problem?

Everything works fine with view set to details, but this is a very other way.

I've also got the same problem, in unattended setup, every tweak works fine, except that the small icon key isn't imported from the default user profile. Does anyoen know a fix for this problem?

Everything works fine with view set to details, but this is a very other way.

Yup, same problem here. Setting does not copy from '.Default'.

Hi..

Yup, upon checking the smallicons does not stick..cos something about windows shell not having fully loaded and thus it wun stick??

i tried adding a 2nd runonceex but that didnt work either..so after fooling ard i made this simple workaround..

simply create a batch file to apply the smallicons.reg and put that into the windows startup folder...then delete it!

e.g. startup.cmd (you gotta adjust the paths yourself!)

@ECHO OFF
IF EXIST d:\cd.txt set cdrom=D:
ECHO Applying small icons
REGEDIT /S "%userprofile%\start menu\programs\startup\smallicons.reg"
ECHO Removing all traces of startup
DEL /S /Q "%UserProfile%\Start menu\programs\startup\*.*"
ECHO Configuration Complete
ECHO Your computer has been fully configured and is now ready to use...
EXIT

smallicons.reg

;Use small icons in both Windows Explorer and IE

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\SmallIcons]
"SmallIcons"="yes"

copy it using your preferred method (i just add a line in cleanup.cmd to copy startup.cmd +smallicons.reg over to "%userprofile%\start menu\programs\startup"

Now after runonceex is completed and rebooted, windows shell will load and run startup.cmd automatically...and then deletes itself after it's done! voila. clean, damnned smallicons is finally registered, etc! :) no need for reboot/log off even..

I use this to delete the internet explorer link that cleanup.cmd wasn't able to del...cos the windows shell hasn't loaded at that point either..and also the reg tweak that makes .cmd open with notepad by default...

hope this helps someone :)

Put your self-destroy .cmd in $OEM$\$Docs\Default User\Start menu\Programs\Startup, and every user will get that tweak. Make sure the reboot timeout in cleanup.cmd is sufficient to load explorer after RunOnceEx.

If you search i386\hive*.inf for SmallIcons, you will find the SmallIcons is a REG_DWORD type, tho SmallIcons REG_SZ "yes" works either. And you can use REG ADD inside your .cmd, lesser files.

REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\SmallIcons" /v "SmallIcons" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f