Cant get MSI files to install

GrimSage

I am having a problem getting msi packages to install correctly. if it is an exe it works fine butas for msi packages it will not work.

Also I was wondering how I get it to work durring the install rather than on first boot. I tried putting it in

[setupParams]

UserExecute="%SystemDrive%\Install\XPlode.exe"

but it just runs though not doing anything

here is my xml file

<XPlode>	<config>  <hidewindow>Windows Update</hidewindow>  <hidewindow>CMD.EXe</hidewindow>  <show  	 total='6' 	 after='2' 	 subcount='true'   />    <!-- make antialiasing false if you're running GUIinstall mode -->  <font  	 face='Tahoma'  	 antialias='false'  	 small='8'  	 large='12'  />    <!-- note the position attribute - it is listed in 'x,y' positions. -->  <!-- 0..8 still may be used. -->  <window  	 width='440'  	 position='8'  	 fixmain='0'   />    <!-- can be standalone, guitransparent, or guiredraw -->  <!-- for the latter two, you don't need to specify background colours, or images. -->  <windowmode  	 mode='standalone'  />  <colours> 	 <header     back='#003399'     fore='#FFFFFF'     image='%XPLODE%\images\head.png'  	 /> 	 <footer     back='#003399'     fore='#FFFFFF'     image='%XPLODE%\images\foot.png'  	 /> 	 <progress     border='#FFFFFF'     back='#00000000'     fore='#FFFFFFAA'     fore2='#00000033'  	 />	 	 <main     back='#0000FF'     fore='#000000'     current='#FFFFff'     description='#FFFFFF'     image='%XPLODE%\main.png'     overlay='#FFFFFF87' 	 />  </colours>
  <strings> 	 <!-- main XPlode string --> 	 <title>Post-Install Configuration</title> 	 <complete>complete</complete> 	 <!-- adduser plugin strings --> 	 <adduser>Adding user #1#</adduser> 	 <addusertogroup>Adding user #1# to group #2#</addusertogroup> 	 <addgroup>Adding group #1#</addgroup>     	 <!-- file/dir ops plugin strings --> 	 <copy>Copying #1# (#2#/#3# - #4#)</copy> 	 <move>Moving #1# (#2#/#3# - #4#)</move> 	 <delete>Deleting #1# (#3#)</delete> 	 <!-- shortcut plugin --> 	 <shortcut>Adding shortcut: #1#</shortcut> 	   </strings>	</config>	<items>  <item display='Adding users and groups...'> 	 <!-- note the different use of quotes due to the data held in them --> 	 <adduser     username='Me'    password='pass'    groups='Administrators'    fullname=''    comment="Don't mess with the best!" 	 />  </item>  <item display='Registry Tweaks'> 	 <execute     display='Applying tweaks...'     program='regedit'     arguments='/s "%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Install\RegTweak.reg"'    username='Me'    password='pass'    />  </item>  <item display='WinRAR Plus 3.3...'> 	 <execute     display='Installing...'     program='%systemdrive%\install\Applications\wrar330.exe'     arguments='/s'    username='Me'    password='pass'    />  </item>      <item display='Office 2003...'> 	 <execute    Display='Extracting Archive...'    program='%systemdrive%\install\Applications\Office2003.exe'    arguments=''    username='Me'    password='pass' 	 /> 	 <execute    Display='Installing...'    program='%systemdrive%\install\Applications\Office2003\setup.exe'    arguments='TRANSFORMS=%systemdrive%\install\Applications\OfficeXP\Unattended.MST /qb-'    username='Me'    password='pass' 	 />  </item>  <item display='TweakUI'> 	 <execute     display='Installing...'     program='%systemdrive%\install\Applications\TweakUI.msi'     arguments='/qb'    username='Me'    password='pass'    />  </item>  <item display='Symantec AntiVirus Corp v9.0.0.338'> 	 <execute     display='Installing...'     program='%systemdrive%\install\Applications\sav\sav.msi'     arguments='/qn RUNLIVEUPDATE=0 REBOOT=REALLYSUPPRESS'    username='Me'    password='pass'    />  </item>  <item display='Google Toolbar'> 	 <!-- note the username and password - it will run under the user 'Spike', using the account password --> 	 <execute     display='Installing...'     program='%systemdrive%\Install\Applications\GoogleToolbarInstaller.exe'     arguments='/qn'    username='Me'    password='pass'    />  </item>	</items></XPlode>

<item display='TweakUI'>  <execute    display='Installing...'    program='%systemdrive%\install\Applications\TweakUI.msi'    arguments='/qb'   username='Me'   password='pass'   />

should be

<item display='TweakUI'>  <execute    display='Installing...'    program='msiexec'    arguments='/i %systemdrive%\install\Applications\TweakUI.msi /qb'   username='Me'   password='pass'   />

and same thing for norton.

I would like to be able to install things at t-9 (from the winnt.sif's [setupParams]) but things are weird their... You could install evertyhing at t-12 from cmdlines.txt. Look on the forum to the technic.

I'm trying actually to figure a way to install things at t-9, but I don't have many hopes... If somebody's has an idea...

hi,

or this is also working:

<execute display='Installing Smart FTP Client 980.3...'  program='#xplode#\Applications\sftp\SmartFTP.msi' arguments='/qn Reboot=Suppress'></execute>

hope this helps a bit

cya

Killer Bee

@big_gie

i have installed a lot of progs during T-9 . what problems do u have?

killerbee's works because it doesn't use a seperate user to install it from.

If you use an alternate user to install it (with the username and password arguments) you have to use the path to the program that actually executes it, in this case msiexec.exe

hi,

@ T-9 the default user hive isn't loaded anymore. So not all registry setttings are applied maybe this is the problem. I can recommend T-13 and T-12 to install without problems. Especially Regtweaks will make problems when applied at T-9.

hope this helps a bit

cya

Killer Bee

@killerbee

Programs doesnt install correctly + all the reg tweaks are not applyed.

Have you found a way for the registry hive @ t-9? I would REALLY like seing this... as I could launch different xml config via multiple winnt.sif file (I use 4 now, 2 computers with 2 config each). I actually use the t-12 method (cmdlines.txt) and a .js file that check computer name and calls xplode with different .xml files...

thanx

hmmm,

i found the post but there was no solution to this so u can only apply HKLM-keys @T-9 you need to import HKCU @T-13 or T-12-mark.

What problems do you have in installing apps? i have installed many apps there and never had any problem, can you be a little bit more specific which probs there are?

Also i think there is no need in using a username while installing apps, this could also be explained

more help available...

cya

Killer Bee

I get some weird things with some programs. I have the my program files folder pointing to D:\ instead of c:\program files, so when installing things, the setup always propose me to install to D:\<app name>. But when installing programs at t-9, some creates empty folders on C:\ (Opera, outpost, others...), no reg tweaks (and I have many :rolleyes:) so it is really useless.... :)

I would really like to see it works one day!!!

Just to update....

I got it working. Everything except for the Office 2003 install. It starts gets really far. and then dies.

Unfortunately I cant attach the log file as it is 512k compressed from almost 20 megs. The only thing the smaller log file says is that it couldnt find pro11.xml Though if I install this in windows using the exact same command line it works.