Scripting compatibility mode?

I've got an installer that whines about being installed on the wrong OS if I try to install it on XP (it lets you install anyway and works fine after being installed - just bad OS detection I guess). I've found that I can run the installer in NT4 SP5 compatibility mode and it then keeps quiet about being installed on the "wrong" OS. Is there a way I can script having the program start in compatibility mode in a batch file?

Just tried it - doesn't work. Apparently the compatibility mode setting doesn't go with the shortcut. I created the ISO with the shortcut and mounted it in Virtual PC. The shortcut in Virtual PC doesn't have the compatibility settings checked like it did prior to that.

For the record, if you do this with a CD drive, the path is a really weird format (not just D:\blah.exe). Instead, it looks like this:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers]"SIGN=444651F lv5\\installer\\disk1\\SETUP.EXE"="NT4SP5"

Most installers just look up the registry key with the os name in it.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

Why not just change the key "ProductName" from "Microsoft Windows XP" to whatever opperating system you need with a reg file then change it back after the program has installed.

This is tested and works with my scanner driver/program

No need for compatibility or paths then! :)