Help with slow Unattended install, please...

Well I posted a previous question related to this problem, but I thought the slowdows for my Unattended RIS install was due to a hotfix, however after doing a little more troubleshooting, it appears that is not so.

Within my Winnt.sif file I am obviously installing drivers for my devices on a Latitude C640. These drivers all come from Dell with the exception of the touchpad. With the "OEMPNPDRIVERSPATH" in the winnt.sif file my install can take almost 2 hours to complete. It just gets hangs on the 12 minutes remaining mark for over an hour. However when removing this line in the winnt.sif file, it cruises along, and completes the install with all hotfixes, and all post-installation processes in about 45 minutes.

I have absolutely no idea why this line could be causing me so many problems. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions.

[data]floppyless = "1"msdosinitiated = "1"OriSrc = "\\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%"OriTyp = "4"LocalSourceOnCD = 1
[setupData]OsLoadOptions = "/noguiboot /fastdetect"SetupSourceDevice = "\Device\LanmanRedirector\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%"
[unattended]OemPreinstall = YesFileSystem = LeaveAloneExtendOEMPartition = 0TargetPath = \WINDOWSOemSkipEula = yesOEMPnPDriversPath = "Drivers\000_C640IntelICH3M.chp;Drivers\_3c920.nic;Drivers\002_C640ATI7500M.vid;Drivers\003_C640Crystal.aud;Drivers\004_C640PCTel.mdm;Drivers\005_C640Synaptics.mse"DriverSigningPolicy = IgnoreInstallFilesPath = "\\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%"LegacyNIC = 1
[userData]FullName = "%USERFIRSTNAME% %USERLASTNAME%"OrgName = "%ORGNAME%"ComputerName = %MACHINENAME%ProductID = 
[GuiUnattended]OemSkipWelcome = 1OemSkipRegional = 1TimeZone = %TIMEZONE%AdminPassword = "*"AutoLogon = YesAutoLogonCount = 1
[GuiRunOnce]C:\Windows\Setup\SetupXPNote.exe
[Display]BitsPerPel = 24XResolution = 1024YResolution = 768VRefresh = 75
[Components]chat = OFFclipbook = OFFdialer = OFFhypertrm = OFFobjectpkg = OFFrec = OFFiis_common = OFFiis_inetmgr = OFFiis_www = OFFiis_ftp = OFFiis_htmla = OFFiis_doc = OFFiis_pwmgr = OFFiis_nntp = OFFiis_nntp_docs = OFFiis_smtp = OFFiis_smtp_docs = OFFiisdbg = OFFfp_extensions = OFFmsnexplr = OFFnetcis = OFFnetcm = OFFnetcps = OFFOEAccess = OFF
[Networking]
[NetServices]MS_Server=params.MS_PSched
[identification]JoinDomain = %MACHINEDOMAIN%DoOldStyleDomainJoin = Yes
[RemoteInstall]Repartition = YesUseWholeDisk = Yes
[OSChooser]Description ="C640 Latitude Custom Development Windows XP Professional SP1"Help ="Automatically installs Windows XP Professional SP1 without prompting the user for input."LaunchFile = "%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%\templates\startrom.com"ImageType =FlatVersion="5.1"

I dont know which driver is causing the problem? Id rather not have all my drivers installed in the GUIRUNONCE.

I wanted to avoid testing each driver individually, but it appears that may be what I have to do.

I am open for more suggestions, however.. :)

if u really insist on the long names at least get rid of those dots.

u could go like this

drivers\nic\3c920

instead of this:

Drivers\_3c920.nic

and while u're following the 000-001-002, u didn't put 001 :)

and further more

also i suggest this:

if u really want the explanation of the drivers like version info, name supplier etc.. just make a txt file and put it in its folder

so make

drivers\audio\

create version.txt (any name)

inside the version.txt put dell C640 driver version a10 release date ...

then u will have

drivers\audio

drivers\chipset

drivers\video

drivers\modem

drivers\mouse

and u can even label them with 001-002-etc..

and actually the reason for that numbering system is bc 000 are for chipset 001 for something else 2 etc......

xtreme, not to step on your toes, but the whole reason, in my understanding, for labeling folders with 000,001,002 is because say you just leave it as audio, chipset, lan, blah...it will load drivers for your audio first without loading maybe a motherboard driver for supporting the audio driver...windows will then not find the driver for audio and continue on to chipset, which it then will find the audio component but it will have already passed the drivers for installing the audio device...I know this doesnt make a whole lot of sense, but sometimes there are things the motherboard has on it that arent supported until the motherboard drivers are loaded...you shouldnt even have to use numbers, technically you could use letters and say achipset, avideo, bmouse, modem, sound...this should work also...I think the numbering system, and the reason for the 00 before the number is just a easier visualization on the user and to create a uniform system.

that's what exactly i was trying to say....

my last sentence was supposed to empasize that, sorry if it didn't..

i was trying to say use brief names for folders

drivers\000_chipset

drivers\001_audio etc..

i know i didn't write them that way but i was trying to say that..

anyways.... ow btw it makes 100% sense :)

its all cool...it just seems that it is brought across to people that this is the only way to go (ie the naming of folder using 00#), which if they dont wanna use numbers, they dont have to...I was just trying to throw out another option to people...personally, I use the number system because in my mind it makes sense, just depends on what kind of thinker you are...if you hate numbers, the less numbering, the better LOL...Or if ya wanna get real creative, as some people are, they can come up with a very cumbersome way of getting certain folders to exist before others :) im not creative or I would give an example. I dont think these dirs are limited to the 8.3 format as almost none of mine are 8 chars. So if you can contain your creativity in the maximum allowable characters allowed in a dir (dont forget about the limitations of dir path) then go for it

File names aside is there anything that sticks out that would make this build take forever. All of these drivers currently load with the long file names.

I know this isnt an 8.3 naming issue as I have always had this naming scheme with Windows 2k, and it has always worked just fine.

As for my 001 mistake, I have the folder, but I forgot the 001 on the nic driver in the winnt.sif file... Oops. Thanks for pointing that out.

Im still at the end of my rope on this one, and am having the same problem. I suppose based off the answers that I am going to have to do a trial and error test by eliminating the drivers one at a time. This is something I wanted to prevent.

If anyone has any further ionformation please post it. I will also post any solutions that I may find.

Thanks!

Well it appears that my problem was the Synaptics touchpad driver. When I remove it from the winnt.sif file the installation finishes in about 40 minutes.

Anyone have any idea why this one driver would cause such a long installation? It always installed correctly, it just took forever!

Thanks!