Fully updated x86 Win2003 (Server) SP2 fltmgr.dll version

Does anyone here have a fully updated Win2k3 SP2 - I'm interested in fltmgr.dll version: is it different/higher than 5.2.3790.3959?

Also - would anyone know: what does HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\FltMgr\","AttachWhenLoaded",0x10001,1 mean? Because WinXP SP3 has 0 at the end, so fltmgr doesn't attach when loaded - have to test it at 1.

Thank you.

Edit: I searched a bit and found a M$ article on the AttachWhenLoaded for fltmgr - it means that it attaches to all drives whether any filters are registered or not; if 0 - fltmgr only attaches when a mini-filter gets loaded...

I'll do some testing with "1" and with server 2k3 SP2 files...

Edited by modnar
explanation

Posted (edited)

Thank you! I will test it but I have checked that KB packet and looks like kernel files are also in there; might not work... Some people even had problems with KB3045999...

I think I'll just stick with the one I got from my SP2 install. I believe it works properly, need to test it thoroughly.

Edited by modnar
Added information

Although the update is 2015, but the fltmgr.sys file in it is dated January 2013. The KB2839229 update contains the same file of the same version. In earlier updates there are only kernel updates, apparently there are no other versions of fltmgr.sys.

There is a newer fltmgr.sys file but it was in the leaked ESU Update.

KB4512787-KB4512788

x64
https://archive.org/details/5eraphupdatepacks

x86

https://archive.org/details/windowsnt-UpdatePacks

My Source Update Packs that
I sorted has been updated.

form abbodi1406

I can't add abbodi1406's topic link.
It seems forbidden.

bandicam 2024-03-12 23-45-23-578.jpg

Edited by MilkChan

Posted (edited)

Mighty fine! Thank you @ED_Sln, @MilkChan. I'll test the updated versions, I hope they do not require some additional kernel functions that WinXP_SP3 (SP4_Harkaz) doesn't have. I use Harkaz's USP4 for all my XP installs now.

What I can say thus far is that the 5.2.3790.3959 works very well with XPSP3 (for now tested in VM) system boots quite a bit faster (with AttachWhenLoaded = 1, it is so in Win7 too). This shows how much this driver is important for good operation of the OS: hard drive/file system is the slowest component and to have a driver as important as fltmgr to perform badly - it slows down the whole system considerably and can cause stutters at high disk loads.

If we look at the .inf, XP uses 2001-made fltmgr with its 2008_SP3 5.1.2600.5512 release, 2003 uses 2002-made driver in the form of 5.2.3790.3959 so it signifies a considerable upgrade to XP.

Update: I have downloaded the XP and 2003 x86 version of the KB2839229 (you don't have to unpack it, just open it with 7zip and "View" _sfx_manifest_ file - will tell you the contents), @ED_Sln, and wouldn't you know it, the M$ b*stards included kernel updates to both systems, but fltmgr update to only Win2003. More and more are my suspicions confirmed: they wanted to kill XP because of its great popularity and they did so by making it hobble at the slowest computer subsystem - file storage. Quite telling. They shan't prevail, that's for sure!

Update II: All the way - version 5.2.3790.5107 works just fine so far. Thank you again, @ED_Sln.

Edited by modnar
update

14 hours ago, MilkChan said:

KB4512787-KB4512788

Oh, I didn't know there were ESU updates for x86 as well, I've only encountered x64 updates before.

1 hour ago, ED_Sln said:

Oh, I didn't know there were ESU updates for x86 as well, I've only encountered x64 updates before.

x86 definitely has it. You can check my file.

3 hours ago, MilkChan said:

x86 definitely has it. You can check my file.

Yes, I'm already looking at the files, thanks, I'll add what's missing to my collection.