Canon scanner on Server 2008 R2

j7n

I am not able to install the drivers for Canon 5600F on Server 2008 R2 (64-bit). I realize finding someone with experience in this matter is a long shot.

I tried the last available driver 14.0.7a ( sd64-win-5600f-14_0_7a-ea24.exe ). It seems to have 64-bit DLLs and claims to support Windows 7 and 10. The process hangs indefinitely on "Installing device driver software" whenever the scanner is connected to a USB port. Maybe it is waiting on a component service. The driver is supposedly signed and Windows didn't complain about it. I did attempt to install 14.0.7 (without a) at first. Attempting to scan via TWAIN in this state gives an error that ScanGear was not able to communicate with the scanner.

The scanner works on Server 2003 32-bit.

12 hours ago, j7n said:

sd64-win-5600f-14_0_7a-ea24.exe

Those exe installers are usually crap/bloatware. It's advised to install via inf directly.

Here's a bit older driver.

https://catalog.s.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/driver/drvs/2013/04/20282278_868cfb4f48fe8f4333115ab525ef46c66316ddc9.cab

Edit. This one worked for me.

Edited by D.Draker

I installed from the INF. Then I tried to run the package. It is actually very small, and only extracts the same driver files to C drive.

I suspect that the Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service might be required by the driver, which I do not have installed. I was not successful in copying its settings from XP. The legit way of installing it is with the Desktop Experience, which brings a ton of unwanted stuff and defeats the purpose of having Server instead of Seven.

What do you have under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\StiSvc ?

3 hours ago, j7n said:

I suspect that the Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service might be required by the driver

Right! It looks like the culprit. I have it running. I didn't remove it from the ISO, I simple remove the startup checkbox, when it's needed.