is $OEM$ really neccessary for drivers?

[BM]Crusher

*crickets chirping*

It would be nice if possible because it would greatly cut down on size (uncompressed drivers take up so much more space it's ridiculous). However, I'm sure adding them to drivers.cab would add other unforseen complexities :)

*crickets chirping*

It would be nice if possible because it would greatly cut down on size (uncompressed drivers take up so much more space it's ridiculous).  However, I'm sure adding them to drivers.cab would add other unforseen complexities :)

Just being curious...

Why wouldn't it work? What would be the consequences???

I'm attempting the DetachedProgram method right now (as in, VirtualPC is ripping away at it :)) with a self-extracting RAR archive. It ended up with a compression ratio of 5:1 (from 105MB to a bit over 21MB).

Well, looking in driver.cab...there's no INF files. Mostly DLL, INI, GPD, and SYS. It appears that \i386\DRVINDEX.INF contains a list of all the files contained in driver.cab and sp1.cab, but there's no install information contained in this file, just a list of file names. Where/how does Windows figure out which driver in driver.cab goes with which hardware device?

For what it's worth, DetachedProgram works like charm.  The RAR archive self-extracts as soon as GUI setup loads and Windows setup waits to continue until after it's done.

What settings did you use???? I've been trying this too (like 2 months ago) and I couldn't get it to work :)...

last post on 3d page: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=16824&st=20

This is NOT what I'm asking!

I'm asking what settings YOU have used in your sfx archive... Which sfx-module did you use? Which switch did you use at detachedprogram?

You're making it too complicated
I use the default SFX module and the settings I put in my post to be copied/pasted allow it to work WITHOUT switches.

EDIT: And that's not even the right thread. Look at the last post on this page.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=12566&st=20