Only Germany saves us, like it always does, when Elon Musk puts a reading paywall on Twitter.

Cocodile

3 hours ago, Cocodile said:

Twitter silently removes login requirement for viewing tweets?

https://techcrunch.com/2023/07/05/twitter-silently-removes-login-requirement-for-viewing-tweets/

I think the reason is this, most likely. Fact checked, as you like. 

...Google Removed Most Twitter Links From Search Results...

"Twitter Users Say Elon Musk's Limits Are Pushing Them..."

"William LeGate, posted on July 4 and viewed 2.1 million times, read: "BREAKING: Google has removed the vast majority of Twitter links from their search results... Elon's decision to block the Google "bot" from crawling their site is reportedly to blame.

"Twitter will now be invisible on the world's largest search engine""

https://www.newsweek.com/fact-check-google-twitter-link-search-results-removed-elon-musk-1811293

• 2 months later...
On 7/15/2023 at 3:19 AM, Dixel said:

:D Musk now claims Twitter login requirement's "just temporary". Someone trusts him?

https://mashable.com/article/elon-musk-twitter-login-requirement-temporary

Doesn't look like it, already enough time passed.

5 hours ago, nowse said:

Thanks for the heads-up about Mastodon. It's good to know there are alternatives out there. Will check it out!

Enjoy, glad to be of help!

Mastodon is online for 7 years and it never went near the popularity of Twitter. And i doubt it ever will, as I can't imagine your cliche GenZter or boomer parents get through the whole federation idea and choose their instance, after years of being assured that in the internet you just sign up and let the big company manage the whole thing, for better and for worse. Thus, I might be biased after 10 years of making my mom computer-literate :P

Yet still, other so-called big tech alternatives are for now either for tech savvy people, paranoids (like me), or some specific groups. Co-host is for nerds, Mastodon is said to be a gathering for left-wing supportes, and most niche YT alternatives are full of Christian broadcast and right-wing politics. Yet still, some channels I watch on Nitter, do have Mastodon backup, so with enough time it might change and p2p recommendations it might change. And then we will see how those services will mitigate the scaling and recognizability challenges, like load-balancing, anti-spam, anti-ddos, paid propagandists channels and many more.

Edited by Mcinwwl

12 hours ago, Mcinwwl said:

GenZter or boomer parents

Boomers seem a bit old to be the parents of GenZ.

12 hours ago, Mcinwwl said:

Mastodon i said to be a gathering for left-wing supportes

Thank you for bringing it to our attention!

On 10/15/2023 at 10:40 PM, Dixel said:

Boomers seem a bit old to be the parents of GenZ.

I didn't say their parents :P

On 10/15/2023 at 10:40 PM, Dixel said:

Thank you for bringing it to our attention!

Typo, fixed.