Reset default documents location

tekkaman

Hello everyone,

I have a question. I removed onedrive from windows 11 but when I open an explorer window and I click documents it says it can't find the location. It's because Windows 10 and 11 want to force you to save by default to onedrive. So how do I fix that  when I click the documents shortcut it points to the correct location like: C:\Users\username\documents.

Corporate Policy strictly forbids Win11 so I can only test this in Win10.

Open "Settings" and go to the "Storage" section.

About half way down, you will see a link in blue - "Change where new content is saved".

Click that link and see if this dialog helps your issue.

Tried that bus sadly it was already set to save to C:\ I managed to create a shortcut to quick access to correct location. But it would nice if the shortcut in This PC would change as well. I changed the system to log in as a local account but the problem is still there.

You need to uncheck backup options inside the OneDrive app like this:

Go to OneDrive settings from the tray icon, Manage backup and uncheck everything. This should do the trick. But keep in mind that you need to backup any file inside these folder (the local and OneDrive ones) before doing that.

image.thumb.png.e7cb00cb55286b9499ba20da3e7e03e0.png

Yea the thing is that I removed Onedrive. I tried to set the properties of the folder and set the location to default and that writes the default correct location but when I try to apply changes it says it can't .

location.png

Sirs, I'm really old school, and just plain OLD, so I may do things a little bit, outside of the box.  But that's the result of 40+ years of experience.

When I first set up Windows 11 for the first time, one of the first things I did was to permanently Delete One Drive.  Then there were a whole list of worthless POS's that also hit the bit bucket.  Win 11 is like an apple....once you get rid of the peeling, the core and the worm, it's a pretty nice OS.  I've found it to be "A Keeper!".   I have it running FAST on a totally incompatible PC, about 8 years old.

The very idea of having even one of my precious Data Files anywhere but under my personal and 100% control, gives me Cold Chills.

I won't even let them share the OS partition.  I keep them all in folders on the D: partition.  Then for data backups to external drives, all I have to do is copy the data folder to an external drive, using a little Batch File and XCOPY.  (I told you , I'm old school)

So when I read questions about One Drive, and there have been many, it makes me just a little bit ill.

And my only answer is, "Why? Why? Why?"

Edited by Andromeda43

Maybe something you could try is to reinstall OneDrive, connect it back with the same account and then disable the OneDrive "backup" feature. If it works, remove OneDrive agin after. I hope this will works.

Edited by MTDirector

I tried all the options. Like right click documents and change location and it wouldn't work. The only way for it to work was via registry. Instructions here in case someone is having the same problem. The way it looks in the picture is how it should be. Before it said Onedrive.

modify docs location.png

I have yet to find any program that does not give me the option to select my own data storage location.  That's not always obvious, but nevertheless optional.   If I encountered such a program, I would probably consider finding a like program that would give me more choices.  So far, I don't have the problem.  I store all my data files in folders on my D: drive.

One Drive, is not required in any instance. 

:cool:

• 10 months later...

This whole "reset default documents location" thing has me a bit lost.  I'm trying to organize my digital life, and accidentally changing where my files save sounds like a recipe for disaster.Is there no way to undo the reset and go back to the original location?  I've heard horror stories about data loss, and while I'm not exactly a Google Workspace Enterprise backup (those guys are super organized!),  I do want to avoid a similar fate.Maybe someone has a tried-and-true method for recovering lost document locations?  Or better yet, any tips for a beginner like me to avoid this whole mess in the first place?

Edited by JulieanDerson321