Boot Windows Vista from ntldr (experimental)

Cixert

Has anyone achieved it, is there any method?
Experimentally I am trying to start Windows Vista 6.0.6000.16386 (Vista_RTM.061101-2205) Enterprise from NTLDR.
I have managed to get hast here.

spacer.png

Any tips to continue?
Windows Lonchorn/Vista, at least between versions 6.0.5048 and 6.0.5112 install bootmgr, but are also boot from ntldr version 2005 (Required*).
*Required NTLDR version 2005 (ntldr not OK version 2003 and not ok version 2008)

I am using this ntldr version and I have modified boot.ini on 6.0.6000
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\Windows="Windows Vista" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT /ACPI /HAL=HALMACPI.DLL /KERNEL=WINLOGON.EXE

But arriving at the point in the photo this gives the error "Load Needed Dlls for Hal"
I have tried to replace the original HAL 6.0.6000 with the HAL of 6,0,5112 but there is no difference.

Edited by Cixert

• 3 weeks later...

Writing /kernel=ntoskrnl.exe also begins Windows Vista from NTLDR to hal's error.
As I see that there are no people interested in this issue I do not continue to experiment with NTLDR.
I have restored the original files that I had replaced from Windows Vista and now I try to start this same Windows Vista from Bootmgr.
The Bootmgr menu appears to choose an operating system, I choose Windows Vista and the result is that now it seems that the same HAL problem happens as when I tried to start from NTLDR.
Now I try to repair the beginning of Windows Vista with the DVD.
I introduce the commands:
"Bootrec /Fixmb" (OK result)
"Bootrec /Fixboot" (OK result)
"Bootrec /RebuildBCD" (result no Windows facilities)

When restarting the BIOS says:
"A Disk Read Occurred Error" + Strange symbols.
I repeat the commands and the result is the same.
Automatic repair does not work either.
Third parties programs do not find errors, repairing the MBR does not work, the hard drive and its partitions are accessible from XP.
Chkdsk does not give error.

I have the following on this hard drive:
1-FAT32 Active Partition with boot manager.
2-NTFS Windows Vista.
3-FAT32 Windows 2003.
4-FAT32 Data.

Then I start the Windows Seven repair disk console and I introduce the "BOOTSECT /NT52 C:" (not available in Windows Vista).
Now the BIOS boot the hard drive with boot.ini and Windows 2003 starts perfectly.
I enter the command again:
"Bootrec /Fixboot"
And the result is again that the hard drive is not accessible from the BIOS.
Then I introduce the "BOOTSECT /NT60 C:" command: "
And now the Bootmgr menu to start Windows Vista reappears.
I enter the command again:
"Bootrec /Fixboot"
And the result is again that the hard drive is not accessible from the BIOS

My conclusions about the experiment to repair the start of Windows NT6 or higher is "impossible mission".
Strange errors also happened to me when trying to repair Windows Seven.
https://msfn.org/board/topic/184546-reov-boot-windows-lononghorn/?do=findcomment&comment=1242025
I will install Windows Vista again and I will enter the command again
"Bootrec /Fixboot"
To get out of doubt.

In any case, the option to repair the start of Windows Vista has been from Seven's DVD "Bootsect /NT60 C:" and to exotate this this has been "Bootrec /Fixboot" from Vista's DVD.

Edited by Cixert

Well,

1) run bootsect /NT60 C:
2) verify that the Vista boots normally (via BOOTMGR)
3) make a copy of the active partition bootsector
4) run Bootrec /Fixboot
5) verify that Vista doesn't boot anymore
6) make a copy of the active partition bootsector
7) compare the file copied in #3 with the one copied in #6

It is very possible that (for *whatever reasons*) the bootsector that bootrec /fixboot is supposed to be writing is "bad" (or outdated/not suitable to your specific hardware/partitioning) whilst the one contained in the version of bootsect.exe you are using is "right", as seen here:

different versions of bootsect.exe may have different versions of the bootsector embedded (though they should all work) the same could be true with different versions of bootrec, and *for some reasons* the one in the bootrec you are using is not good.

jaclaz

I have again installed Windows Vista Enterprise and the result is the same. When I write "Bootrec /Fixboot" when starting the hard drive the BIOS shows the message "A disk read error occurred" + strang symbols.
When executing third-party programs to modify partitions I see that the active partition C: FAT32 is not correctly recognized. These do not identify the format and name of the partition. This is only recognized by Acronis Disk Director and by Windows Disk Management, both from NT5 and NT6.
This begins in sector 63.

I have formatted this active partition in Fat32 again and manually copy the boot files:

-From Windows XP ---> When restarting boot directly ntldr.
-From Windows Vista ---> Don't let it format it.
-From Windows Seven Console ---> When restarting boot directly Bootmgr.
-From Eassos Disk Genius 5.4 ---> When restarting boot directly Bootmgr.
-From Minitool Partition Wizard 7.8 ---> When restarting an intermittent cursor appears.
Then I execute "Bootrec /Fixboot" and starts correctly Bootmgr.
The same if I execute the command with the other options.

-From Minitool Partition Wizard 11.6 ---> When restarting an intermittent cursor appears.
Then I run "Bootrec /Fixboot" and returns the error  "A disk read error occurred" + strang symbols.
The partition is again defective.
-From Minitool Partition Wizard 12.5 ---> When restarting an intermittent cursor appears.
The same errors as in version 11.6
This application, Minitool Partition Wizard, has ceased to be useful in its last versions.

Edited by Cixert

Copying the boot files manually should be irrelevant.

The intermittent cursor - generally speaking - is caused by a mismatch between CHS and LBA addressing, it can happen even with original MS bootsectors on some hardware, and there is a patch for FAT32 and NTFS bootsectors (FAT16 ones are not affected) to avoid the issue.

It is possible that one version of Partition Wizard only introduces this mismatch (or *something else*) that the Bootrec /fixboot can fix while the other version introduces *something else* that Bootrec /fixboot cannot fix.

No way to know without comparing the various bootsectors.

Vista and later - again generally speaking - expect partitions to be aligned to the megabyte (and NOT to a cylinder), for primary partitions this is not usually an issue but using disk manager can lead to logical volumes inside extended to be lost.

jaclaz