Help on installation for a recent PC.

Thanks for the many people who replied here. I'll try installing the Advanced Server and/or Professional and see if that works any better. Hopefully it does.. (but most things work already, I guess they'll do as well)

@Tommy// I've tried installing Advanced Server and Pro with core 12a. Unfortunately though, the 12 threads of my processor aren't getting detected (only 8; 12 in datacenter), but this is a minor issue. Even with core 12a, I'm not yet able to drive both displays in dual head mode.

I'm sorry, but do you also know which version of the NVIDIA driver you have used to successfully do so? I even tried a version from 2014, but all same results.. some versions includes the nview(?) program that auto starts on boot, but clicking dual view in it shows a prompt that says it requires a reboot, and after reboot nothing's changed.

Edited by hexagonwin

13 hours ago, hexagonwin said:

I've tried installing Advanced Server and Pro with core 12a. Unfortunately though, the 12 threads of my processor aren't getting detected (only 8; 12 in datacenter), but this is a minor issue. Even with core 12a, I'm not yet able to drive both displays in dual head mode.

You have to edit registry.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
;Increase core count limit to 12 cores

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager]
"RegisteredProcessors"=dword:0000000c

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NDIS\Parameters]
"ProcessorAffinityMask"=dword:00000fff

If you still have problem with NVIDIA driver, leave a comment on @blackwingcat's blog.

On 3/17/2023 at 10:51 AM, hexagonwin said:

I'm sorry, but do you also know which version of the NVIDIA driver you have used to successfully do so? I even tried a version from 2014, but all same results.. some versions includes the nview(?) program that auto starts on boot, but clicking dual view in it shows a prompt that says it requires a reboot, and after reboot nothing's changed.

I don't think I ever tried Keplar in dual view mode. I wish I could remember the last NVIDIA card I used that I used in dual view mode. But it seems to me that even though the newer drivers worked and did mostly what they needed to do, I never got dual view to work. If possible, use anything pre-200 to start with, although it seemed one of the versions around 197 didn't work correctly either. I'm not sure if you could install older drivers, enable dual view, and then upgrade them to later drivers, if that would work or not. Like I mentioned, somewhere before the pandemic, I upgraded my dual monitor setup to a 28in monitor so I didn't need dual view anymore. It seems to me there was a 286 driver that was modified to work with Windows 2000, you could start there as well. Find anything that's closest to that release number since I can't remember if that was one that blackwingcat modified or not.