j2se runtime environment 5.0 update 22

justacruzr2

@justacruzr2 Is any Java listed under add and remove programs?

What do you have under "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Jave\Update\Base Images"?

Has anything been copied to "C:\Program Files\Java"?

You can also check the regestry, "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Uninstall".

Click on the {} key folders and look for one or more with Java in them.

At any rate, if you delete the registry key in Uninstall (the whole folder icon {} that contains a Java version "example 1.5.0.220") and the corresponding Java folder in Common Files, you should "for certain" not be dealing with any installer other then the one you are clicking on.

Are you doing a custom install?

UNPLUG your internet connection BEFORE executing the installer.

That's all I did and it installed perfectly fine  --  on five different machines just for the sake of testing for you.

Next would be awkduck's suggestion - delete ANY and ALL folders that have anything to do with Java, delete ANY and ALL registry entries that have anything to do with Java.

REBOOT.

Then UNPLUG your internet connection and execute the installer provided a couple weeks ago.

Good luck  :cool:

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

53 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I tested in WINE, for Linux. It is configured with no connection to the Internet/Network. I run with a slim desktop environment. Everything is ran from a Terminal. It just so happened, I didn't close the terminal when running the Java installer. So I can see different things happening in the background. It made several failed calls for Internet access. So, you may be on to something ;)

However, I didn't test allowing for the connection. :blushing: It has been so long since disabling it, I've forgotten how I did it.

I noticed that this version of Java contains it's installer data in a folder labelled "jre.1.5.0.b64", so the XML file may have nothing to do with another version. Maybe it is just weird sun/oracle naming conventions. The XML may relate to a variety of versions, until the file required renaming.

Edited by awkduck

2 hours ago, schwups said:

I know from my own experience that Java installer errors can drive you to despair.
I had a variety of Java errors, but I can't remember this one.

- 1.5.0_06-b05.xml? Did you install version 1.5.0_06 before? Maybe a leftover or something is pending of that installation.
- WindowsInstaller 2 (2.0.2600.2) required.
- Yes, Java 6 requires KernelEx. https://kernelex.sourceforge.net/wiki/Sun_Java_Runtime_Environment

This helps in some cases, but probably it doesn't include a solution for your case:  
https://web.archive.org/web/20111229065524/http://www.javafixer.org

https://www.oracle.com/java/technologies/javase/jdk-v5-microsoft-windows.html

No.  Never.  I went from 1.1 to 1`.3 then to 1.5 update 18, then 21, and then 22 (on my ME setup).

That's what the error message said....1.5.0_06-b05.xml.  This is the first time installing on a fresh installation of 98SE (naturally all the MS updates have been done already).  And that's the installer version I have on my system 2.0.2600.2.  And I already had installed KernelEx.  In fact I have tried these installs with KernelEx turned off in case it was interfering with it somehow.

1 hour ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

That's all I did and it installed perfectly fine  --  on five different machines just for the sake of testing for you.

Next would be awkduck's suggestion - delete ANY and ALL folders that have anything to do with Java, delete ANY and ALL registry entries that have anything to do with Java.

REBOOT.

Then UNPLUG your internet connection and execute the installer provided a couple weeks ago.

Good luck  :cool:

I guess there's a misunderstanding here.  I do not have high speed internet only dial up.  I don't use the internet very much.  So I don't think the dial up is interfering.  Only thing I can do with that is pull the telephone wire out of the socket.

Maybe even go so far as go into Control Panel -> Network Connections or even Device Manager and totally DISABLE your network/internet BEFORE executing the installer.

Aside from that, you'll have to delete any and all folders, any and all registry entries, any and all system folder install cache, et cetera.

2 hours ago, justacruzr2 said:

I have tried these installs with KernelEx turned off in case it was interfering

That is a good point, for anyone using KernelEx.

I've now tested with connection. The install was still fine.

There is an XML file, in my test install. "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_22\libs\servicetag\registration.xml".

Could be that the file it is looking for is the template.

So how far into the installation do you get? Does it even start copying files?

Edited by awkduck

20 hours ago, awkduck said:

@justacruzr2 Is any Java listed under add and remove programs?

What do you have under "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Jave\Update\Base Images"?

Has anything been copied to "C:\Program Files\Java"?

You can also check the regestry, "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Uninstall".

Click on the {} key folders and look for one or more with Java in them.

At any rate, if you delete the registry key in Uninstall (the whole folder icon {} that contains a Java version "example 1.5.0.220") and the corresponding Java folder in Common Files, you should "for certain" not be dealing with any installer other then the one you are clicking on.

Are you doing a custom install?

Nothing is in Add/Remove programs.   Nothing in Common Files.  No registry keys have been made (I use InCtrl5 to monitor installs).  The only thing that does happen before the install terminates is that it makes a folder in Windows\Local Settings\Java\jre5\ with 2 files in it.  One is the msi.  I have tried running that msi but it just does the same thing.  BTW, I did try Java 6 update 31 last night but it does the same thing as all the others.  Guess it's about time to give up on this.

19 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Yes, pull the telephone wire out of the socket BEFORE executing the installer.  Before, before, before.

It worked on FIVE of my computers and three different VM's.

Are you POSITIVE that THIS is the installer you are trying?

image.png.60c64f8a293ec9c333cf8b81d433e2b6.png

image.png.ec2285b1574cf86a9f65456b424fa04b.png

Absolutely the same.  In fact the approximately 10 versions I've downloaded and tried are all the same 17106MB with a Sun sign-off on October 9 (from the Digital Signatures tab of the properties page).  And last night what I did instead of pulling the telephone wire out of the wall socket was to delete the internet connections completely so there was nothing to go to.  The install terminated even quicker.  I wonder if there are some switches that can be used for this install that turn off the update feature.  Something like "-noupdate".  I'm pretty sure that what it's trying to do is check for any updates or patches for this version.  Anyway, an offline update that has to go online to complete an install is not truly an offline update.  I suppose it's possible that there is something unusual with my 98se installation but damned if I know what it could be.  It's a fresh install with all the MS updates applied.

Edited by justacruzr2
more info

17 hours ago, awkduck said:

That is a good point, for anyone using KernelEx.

I've now tested with connection. The install was still fine.

There is an XML file, in my test install. "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_22\libs\servicetag\registration.xml".

Could be that the file it is looking for is the template.

So how far into the installation do you get? Does it even start copying files?

Yes I have the same file in my ME installation.  That was done 14 years ago when Sun probably still had that location available.  See above replies for more info.  And like I said above "The only thing that does happen before the install terminates is that it makes a folder in Windows\Local Settings\Java\jre5\ with 2 files in it.  One is the msi.  I have tried running that msi but it just does the same thing.  BTW, I did try Java 6 update 31 last night but it does the same thing as all the others."

47 minutes ago, justacruzr2 said:

And like I said above "The only thing that does happen before the install terminates is that it makes a folder in Windows\Local Settings\Java\jre5\ with 2 files in it.  One is the msi.

Odd path - not standard - Local Settings is a XP folder

I think it should be on ME/98: C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Sun\Java

16 minutes ago, schwups said:

Odd path - not standard - Local Settings is a XP folder

I think it should be on ME/98: C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Sun\Java

It really does put it in Windows\Local Settings\Sun\Java.  And it's not the only app that has put it's settings in that folder.  And I had the same thought too since I also have XP on this computer.  There is one other thing that I thought of.  When I installed Quick Time, it modified the Autoexec.bat file with 2 lines.  I don't remember the exact entry but it was something like Set CLASSPATH= then the path to QTJava and set JAVA= something I don't remember.  Since I knew that I was going to be installing and using Sun Java, I deleted those lines and copied over from ME's Autoexec.batr file the lines that Sun Java will put there.  Now I wonder if Sun Java looks at the bat file and thinks it's already installed and that I am looking for any updates to Sun Java.  I guess it's worth a try to just delete those lines out of the bat file tonight and retry the install.  Any thought about that?