Quick temporary font installation

j7n

How come it is no longer possible to temporarily load fonts by opening them in the built-in FontView viewer on Windows NT6.1 64-bit? Doing that on Windows XP used to make them available for all applications, and they were unloaded after FontView closed if no other programs were still using them. This was handy for decorative fonts for a single project. But under Win2008 R2 the font viewer is different. Moreover, I had to reboot the computer to enable a newly installed font in all applications. It would show up in Character Map's grid, but not the textbox.

• 2 weeks later...

NexusFont seems to be able to load fonts where older programs like FontLister do not. A new version of Windows keeps surprising even after you've dealt with the immediately obvious like the appearance of the start menu etc.

Do you know why the Group By selector in Charmap is empty? It should show ranges like scripts and punctuation symbols. Adobe fonts show all the empty positions, and it is sometimes necessary to jump to where the required characters are. I tried running the program from NT5, but it uses something from the system and is also empty.

https://i.imgur.com/936twS6.png

6 hours ago, j7n said:

Do you know why the Group By selector in Charmap is empty?

I don't know about that. The only thing I can think of is that the program is not aware of some of the characters in the font, so the character table is shifted and some of them are not displayed.