Extended Service Updates

Jody Thornton

This is not something I've paid a lot of attention to on Windows 7 and Server 2008 product lines.  My understanding though is that Server 2012 is eligible for ESU patches until October 2026.  With such updates, I could continue patching Windows 8 for quite a foreseeable period of time.

Has anyone used ESU updates on the other OS releases that I've mentioned?  How are they being obtained?

On 7/5/2022 at 2:45 AM, Jody Thornton said:

Has anyone used ESU updates on the other OS releases that I've mentioned?  How are they being obtained?

I do have some experience with ESU on Windows 7, however the only difference between 7 and 8 is that Windows 8.1 is not eligable of Extended Security Updates itself. Other products of that NT-line are eligable (Server 2012/R2) of it.

So, skip Windows 7 and look at back at Windows Vista - that's the situation we are dealing here with. Windows Vista also did not receive ESU, but Server 2008 SP2 did. I could install some of those for testing purposes on a Vista machine, however that was not easy. I needed an older version of an ESU-bypass tool, which was not easy to find anymore. After installing all of the needed patches, I could sideload Server 2008 SP2 ESU to Vista. Bbefore that I only got Error Codes. So, basically it is possible to do so with Windows 8.1/Server 2012 R2 too, but I have to underline that I'm not recommending doing stuff, which one hasnt paid for. You can try on your own risk 

:)