AMD Ryzen, etc with Windows Vista

Jakob99

I disabled driver signature enforcement and same code 39 error. Opening the setup.exe produces a "The procedure entry point ChangeWindowMessageFilterEx could not be located in the dynamic link library USER32.dll" error. Not sure if Extended Kernel has that function.

4 hours ago, Jakob99 said:

I disabled driver signature enforcement and same code 39 error. Opening the setup.exe produces a "The procedure entry point ChangeWindowMessageFilterEx could not be located in the dynamic link library USER32.dll" error. Not sure if Extended Kernel has that function.

So how do you know if can't launch the installer at all ? Did you install the driver manually ? Replace the procedure entry with just ChangeWindowMessageFilter. Without the Ex

I don't rely on the ex-krenel , all in my tutorial says so . One thing to note, you maybe be in need to update to 03.2019. Why ? Yes , I hate updates , but in this case your drivers are much newer than those I hacked (2018 vs 2020) . So expect the idiotic security theater . Yes , they like to add lots of "security" crap in the drivers' kernel.sys. For example , I had better results with the drivers from 2019 on a system with the updates to 2019 vs the original one.

Jakob , this whole idea is pretty far-fetched , just so you know. What I mean is your drivers might be too new , all I'm saying. AMD is quite outdated traditionally  , so in this case might work for our benefit . That's what I hope for.

EDIT : And don't forget to fully de-crapify them . This is a very important step. If the installer starts whining about missing files , just replace 'em with balnks. (emty txt with the same name and extension). So you gotta find what each file really does.

Edited by D.Draker

3 hours ago, D.Draker said:

So how do you know if can't launch the installer at all ? Did you install the driver manually ? Replace the procedure entry with just ChangeWindowMessageFilter. Without the Ex

I opened the exe and it threw the error. I did. It threw the same Code39 error. Maybe an older version of the driver (like the first one for Stoney Ridge) will work better. Who knows.

@D.Draker I think these two articles would be great reads: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excavator_(microarchitecture) and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Accelerated_Processing_Unit#Excavator_architecture_(2016):_Bristol_Ridge_and_Stoney_Ridge

Says the Stoney Ridge model debuted in 2015, which is the year AMD cut XP/Vista support. Unfortunately, I cannot seem to find the very first driver AMD released for this model in 2015, but I'll keep looking. If I can find this, it might do better at getting Vista (and possibly even XP) working on the Stoney Ridge platform, which was available until at least 2019, possibly until 2021.

3 hours ago, Jakob99 said:

he very first driver AMD released for this model in 2015

Graphics Adapter WDDM1.3 - AMD Radeon(TM) R4 Graphics
Last Modified: 1/27/2015
Size: 84.7 MB
https://catalog.s.download.windowsupdate.com/d/msdownload/update/driver/drvs/2015/06/20711026_c0dacb8c2d5adfe27501b08e34fd6a1dc5927169.cab

Unfortunately, I cannot seem to find

Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.3 - AMD Radeon(TM) R4 Graphics

Last Modified: 5/18/2015

https://catalog.s.download.windowsupdate.com/c/msdownload/update/driver/drvs/2015/12/20810175_500dd9596bb00f7c148003d934f878e32fc0e3b4.cab

6 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

By the looks of it shouldn't be that hard to mod.

I hope not. Thanks for digging these out. I'll take a look at these and see what is up.

On 7/4/2022 at 10:11 PM, D.Draker said:

By the looks of it shouldn't be that hard to mod.

Unfortunately, simply changing the version from 6.1 to 6.0 within the .sys file and the .inf was not enough. I'm gonna open up the .sys within Dependency Walker and see what is up. And maybe @win32 has some advice here? Like D.Draker has said, these shouldn't be too hard to mod.

It still is very weird that they left a 6.0 section in even though these drivers don't officially support Vista.

7 hours ago, Jakob99 said:

open up the .sys within Dependency Walker and see what is up

Actually it's should be the first thing to do. And of course there are . Try to replace them.

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

And ?

I've actually fallen off this due to other stuff, although me and K4Sum1 have talked about this within the last week. We've tried some of the earliest drivers to support my hardware to no avail so far. Here's what K4Sum1 sent me via Discord:

!!Assume x64 unless x86 is specified!!

!!Some files might need 7 x86 mfplat, this won't be listed!!

!!Some files require msvcr110.dll and difxapi.dll, but this could be from something I don't have installed!!

atieclxx.exe & dsemanager.exe - user32.dll - SetDisplayConfig

dgtrayicon.exe - user32.dll - IsImmersiveProcess

amdh264enc32.dll & amdh265enc32.dll & amf-mft-mjpeg-decoder32.dll - kernel32.dll (x86) - K32GetProcessImageFileNameW

amdhdl32.dll - kernel32.dll (x86) - GetCurrentPackageId

amdhdl64.dll - kernel32.dll - GetCurrentPackageId

amdlvr32.dll - user32.dll (x86) - DisplayConfigGetDeviceInfo, QueryDisplayConfig, GetDisplayConfigBufferSizes

amdmantle32.dll & amdvlk32.dll - user32.dll (x86) - DisplayConfigGetDeviceInfo, QueryDisplayConfig

amdmiracast.dll - gdi32.dll - D3DKMTOpenAdapterFromLuid

atiadlxy.dll - user32.dll (x86) - DisplayConfigGetDeviceInfo, DisplayConfigSetDeviceInfo

atiumd6a.dll - powerprof.dll - PowerSettingUnregisterNotification, PowerSettingRegisterNotification

atiumdva.dll - powerprof.dll (x86) - PowerSettingUnregisterNotification, PowerSettingRegisterNotification

amdacpksd.sys - ntoskrnl.exe - strcat_s, sprintf_s

atikmdag.sys - ntoskrnl.exe - sprintf_s, RtlDowncaseUnicodeChar

So, based on this, all this stuff would have to be added. This was taken from 16.7.1 with the Extended Kernel installed on K4Sum1's rig.

!!Some files might need 7 x86 mfplat, this won't be listed!!

!!Some files require msvcr110.dll and difxapi.dll, but this could be from something I don't have installed!!

atieclxx.exe & dsemanager.exe - user32.dll - SetDisplayConfig

SetDisplayConfig , DisplayConfigGetDeviceInfo, QueryDisplayConfig, GetDisplayConfigBufferSizes are very evil and hard to replace .

K32GetProcessImageFileNameW could try to replace with the one from my tutorial GetModuleFileNameA.

And you need to filter out and use only the absolutely needed files . You won't do videoencoding on that weak GPU anyways.

So no need for the references to mfplat and throw out amdh264enc32.dll & amdh265enc32.dll to the garbage.

Tha "_s" crap , that's what they call "secure" crap ,lol, was introduced by MS in win7 is usually easy to replace.

by simply removing the "_s" , in 99 percent of the cases. 

EDIT . And again , you and your friend Bob, Kasumi , read the description of what each of these files does .

Edited by D.Draker