TLS 1.1 & 1.2 for OE 6 (XP), Key ´POSReady´ not to set to ´1´

visionhelp

Mail accounts - the access to them with OE6 (XP Pro SP3) - these days are being deactivated.

POSReady 2009 Update promises to install TLS 1.1 and 1.2 to solve this trouble.

Problem: The registry-key ´POSReady´ is not possible to set to ´1´. Error message "in use from system or other processes", from *.reg file.

Any kind help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The corresponding key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady  seems to already exist. Check this key by using Regedit or any other registry editor! If this registry hack was already performed, the entry should look like as following:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady] "Installed"=dword:00000001

If you had applied this hack the first time, this registry key couldn't have been in use at all 'cause it weren't still there. Therefore, I think the hack has already been applied. :yes:

Simply said: a nonexistent key cannot be in use.

Cheers, AstroSkipper :)

Edited by AstroSkipper

OK. Understanding. Thanks.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]
"Installed"=dword:00000001

I will remove the key, and then try it at once with this .reg-file. But I am sure, there is a reason, that the setting to ´1´ is denied. And will be continuing.
And here it is: image.png.676f2e72a022c4ec4b233f060beae87b.png

(english:) "PosReady can´t be deleted. Error at deleting the key."

(Off-topic:) Would like to expand the title with ´& not to delete´.)

Edited by visionhelp
endorsement

A registry key which is already in use can't be deleted in Windows itself. You have to do that from outside. Use, for example, the tool Offline Windows Password & Registry Editor:
http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/  link.gif
I recommed to perform a backup of your system partition, first!

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

Thanks the effort.

This tool is just for: "Forgot your Windows admin password?".

Needs a tool do delete the key before Windows running, therefor at (Windows) boot. Or a command for at boot in  Auto-start, delete the key. But this also will not help - the reason - the complete denying this key setting to ´1´, I am very convinced.

But: perhaps a commend in Auto-Start - for once - to create and/or set ´Installed´ to ´1´. If this could not destroy the entire system-installation. 

Edited by visionhelp
betterment

9 minutes ago, visionhelp said:

Thanks the effort.

You're welcome!

This tool is just for: "Forgot your Windows admin password?".

No, it's an offline registry editor either.

Will try ClearProg to delete the key during (Windows) boot.

I don't use this kind of tools. A lot of them are crap. But I think it's not able to do this or to do this successfully.

Here is the instruction how to use Offline Windows Password & Registry Editor:

Boot Offline Windows Password & Registry Editor. Mount the partition with your windows installation, select the full option, change to the regkey and delete it. Then exit the program and write the changes back to disk. Boot back to Windows and the regkey is gone.

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

"Boot back to Windows" = (/means) Re-boot Windows ?
(Ah, no, I think, quite from outside from the windows-system. OUH. Sorry.)

Thanks, this instruction description. (OK, an about 2 hours plan, now. But, again, ah: perhaps the key ´Installed´ is there also to set to  ´1´, because this is the trouble last end.)

("Image" system: thanks the remind. In mind since months.)

(ClearProg is reliable, not SO much doing, but a bit.)

Edited by visionhelp
endorsement, betterment

On download page this warning:

"DANGER WILL ROBINSON!
If password is reset on users that have EFS encrypted files, and the system is XP or newer, all encrypted files for that user will be UNREADABLE! and cannot be recovered unless you remember the old password again If you don't know if you have encrypted files or not, you most likely don't have them. (except maybe on corporate systems)".

This could be for the Registry also ... HAVING: Corporate. This possibility is wanting to stop me doing this effort from about 2 hours. This now: if I had time weeks: OK. I have to think about, very relaxed, please.

By the alternative now this idea: in/for Auto-Start a command to set - at (Windows) boot - ´Installed´ to ´1´, for once only. (After system-image.)

Edited by visionhelp
missed

20 minutes ago, visionhelp said:

Thanks, this instruction description.

You're welcome!

20 minutes ago, visionhelp said:

perhaps the key ´Installed´ is there also to set to  ´1´, because this is the trouble last end.

If the key is deleted completely from outside, you should have no problems to apply the POSReady hack in Windows itself. But you can try, instead of deleting the registry entry, to edit it to your needs, i.e., setting the value to 1.

23 minutes ago, visionhelp said:

"Image" system: thanks the remind. In mind since months.

If something goes wrong, you'll be glad to have a backup to restore the possibly damaged system partition. You'll never know what will happen when modifying Windows from outside.

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

8 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

But you can try, instead of deleting the registry entry, to edit it to your needs

Yes.

8 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

glad to have a backup

But yes.
(My - in about 10 years built all together - XP I WILL NOT do again.)

Edited by visionhelp
endorsement

BTW, I already used Offline Windows Password & Registry Editor to reset my admin password in the past, and it's simply great.

3 hours ago, visionhelp said:

DANGER WILL ROBINSON!
If password is reset on users that have EFS encrypted files, and the system is XP or newer, all encrypted files for that user will be UNREADABLE! and cannot be recovered unless you remember the old password again If you don't know if you have encrypted files or not, you most likely don't have them. (except maybe on corporate systems)".

You don't want to reset your password. Therefore, it doesn't matter. And in the described case above, you have to have EFS encrypted files.

3 hours ago, visionhelp said:

This could be for the Registry also

The conclusion is unfounded and not comprehensible. And if you have a complete backup of your system partition, you have nothing to lose. Therefore, follow the instructions! Or leave it!

PS: The process of deleting or editing the registry key from outside, will last just a few minutes. Creating a fresh image of your system partition, will need the most time.

Chhers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

11 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:
33 minutes ago, visionhelp said:

This could be for the Registry also

The conclusion is unfounded and not comprehensible

For this I did say ´could´. Not MORE did I say. Not MORE I do know, please.

12 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

have EFS encrypted files

"(except maybe on corporate systems)": and "maybe" is also not saying MORE.

"follow the instructions! Or leave it": My nerves and time and power are limited, please. I have to decide and plan my works. So, please, (You may) stay kind. Thank You.

PS: The process of deleting or editing the registry key from outside, will last just a few minutes. Creating a fresh image of your system partition, will need the most time.

The software download, install - making workable the running from/on a stick - being carefull each step, each click, and being more at the points, where the work has to be done ...: 2 hours, at least.

The image: 10 minutes, after remembering which settings have to be done, which not. So: about 20 minutes. And the reason (the denying to set to ´1´ and/or to delete) still may not be solved this way. (Means: being able then to set to ´1´ still must not do it.) OK ?

Edited by visionhelp
endorsement

14 minutes ago, visionhelp said:

"(except maybe on corporate systems)": and "maybe" is also not saying MORE.

BTW, my Windows XP Professional, fully POSReady updated, is a Corporate Edition either. Therefore, nothing to worry about!

Cheers, AstroSkipper kaffeepc.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction

Corporate Edition either. Therefore, nothing to worry about

O K E Y: THAT is listening good. Let´s see !

(Off-topic, please:) just Install on usb-stick, (just) to run - runs - without Windows ? Getting access to the stick, to the tool: how, without Windows, please ? Thanks to You.

The installaton to the stick does make the stick - the tool - bootable, without any OS (Windows here) ?

Edited by visionhelp
betterment