Where are language settings for new user accounts stored?

UCyborg

The title...I'm unable to figure it out on my own. With Process Monitor, I see modifications made in registry under HKEY_USERS or HKEY_CURRENT_USER, which either changes settings displayed in the dialog below under Current user or Welcome screen. It's interesting that that person had a problem that it said that it's unable to read settings under New user accounts.

spacer.png

Fresh unaltered installations have all settings in that dialog set to whatever was chosen during installation, plus the text below checkboxes appear that says new user accounts' display language is inherited from welcome screen's display language. When you tell it to copy current user settings to new user accounts, the said display language is no longer inherited.

But where are they stored?

I always set everything to English Great Britain (United Kingdom). With the American language you will get wrong spelling and even unicode problems. So try it. Everything in the world is set up to work for/in the UK and with British standards. ))))

I just answered my own question. C:\Users\Default\NTUSER.DAT is temporarily mapped under HKEY_USERS\TempKey from which settings are read/written (same as selecting HKEY_USERS in Registry Editor then loading said file with Registry->Load Hive... and naming it TempKey or whatever. If you map this file in Registry Editor and open the dialog from that screenshot, it says it can't read anything under New user accounts.

Didn't make that connection the first time, thought HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT maps to C:\Users\Default\NTUSER.DAT file even though it maps to another file, so no wonder nothing added up. The content of C:\Users\Default\NTUSER.DAT is normally not visible in Registry Editor, it's just a template with initial registry data for new users.

I found it easiest to clear most of the clutter in Process Monitor by setting the filter to exclude everything that doesn't come from DllHost.exe process to see what is read/written.