DVD When Disc Is Inserted Shows As Local Disk instead Of CD Drive And Disc Writing Error 987a9b5c

exogenesis

After Windows XP is started and view inside 'My Computer' the DVD drive is seen as normal 'CD Drive' when I insert any data disc retail or other it then changes in 'my Computer' from 'CD Drive' to 'Local Disk' and then tray popup tells me running out of space on that drive.

Unknown how this has happened but guess maybe someone has come across this issue before so ask what is the solution to fix it so stays always as 'CD Drive' as was previously.

Tested the disc drive itself appears to be working correctly when load PC with MiniXP (boot from a Hirens CD image on USB).

Tested also using a Debian live disc. The 'CD Drive' remained as 'CD Drive' with a disc inserted

I'm assuming maybe some software may have changed the registry or I did and forgotten. Or a bad driver from some software maybe installed (less likely, but maybe)

My C Drive Windows weekly backups don't go far enough back (1 months) to correct the problem.

Any ideas to help fix this problem !

Edited by exogenesis

The filters in use by the drive are

Upper Filters - Redbook

LowerFilters - Imapi

Registry location

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Enum\IDE\DVD-Drive\xxx

No filters upper or lower at registry location

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

No change after uninstalling the device and controller. I did this when first noticed the problem after checking the registry for upper and lower filters.

The imapi and redbook should be "normal".

It is *something else*, surely it is in the Registry or anyway in  some configuration of your specific install, since booting other OS the issue disappears.

And since you already tried uninstalling device and controller it must be "external" to those. 

I wonder what it could be :dubbio:, and if it is "system wide" or linked to your current account only, this could be another test you can make, create (add) a new user and see if logged in in this other account makes any difference.

jaclaz

Safe Mode Early Start - No Problem

Will Try remove software to find the problem (hit and miss if registry entry it made/changed isn't changed back or deleted). That said this way could take a long time. And maybe could fail even if have some software tracked with an uninstall software.

First I will since have a recent backup of the system will try XP Install CD repair mode (second repair option). Just prepping the system that is exporting the Services settings so able to manually restore them when system is repaired. They can be exported but no ability to import them. I can not remember what else gets changed, will see soon.

If only there was a free reliable that is able to 100% restore always without fail every time an easy GUI to backup the registry hives and restore them. I have tried Hirens and others but they are all awkward not straight forward as a selection list choose hives, with one button for backup and one button to restorer. That are written in code or script that doesn't rely on other code to be installed (.NET, Visual Basic, Python, Java, or others). But restore reliability is needed. Also be able to work without needing to rely on system restore which itself is not reliable.

Checked again PC is clear of any SPTD or Patin Couffin drivers. I don't use them ever worst drivers I have ever encountered. Full or problems and even can BSODs system or even stop system from starting with BSODs also.

Note to Developers:   Many people once found these problems will from then avoid these drivers like a plague, so never will install or use software with them, unless guaranteed they won't be installed or even copied to the system at all during install. Better to have two installers one with and one without many other drivers that can be used instead.

After thought; Do the repair mode then do a registry hives backup and compare them to what I have now maybe able to see the registry. Then if found restore backup and edit registry to fix the problem. If not found continue with repaired OS.

Edited by exogenesis
Extra

I am not sure to understand.

I mean, doesn't ERUNT do all you need for Registry backup and restore?

(I thought that it was ubiquitous among the few surviving XP users)

The site is long dead, here it is via Wayback Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20171215214009/http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

The program remains the good ol'one "(v1.1j, 10/20/2005, Freeware, English and German)", it can  be found on one of the original hosting sites:

http://www.aumha.org/freeware/freeware.htm

both the normal and install versions.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Thanks I'll try ERUNT never come across it before.

I dd compare the old registry hives with repaired hives but nothing so easy to see could I see to say what the problem was.

After the XP3 CD Repair-Update thankfully fixed the problem CD-Drive remains the CD-Drive with any disc inserted. Nearly all services remained as is only M$ updates and the two Wi-Fi entries I think were the ones that defaulted their settings back.

The issue came about with trying many DVD Burning softwares to get one that can do basic session writing with ISO+UDF the usual Free Burning softwares are all rubbish and the one I was using AnyBurn has time bombed and the developer seems to be no longer. Time Bombed in that all versions made I have tried so far all give an error before burning and many disc have been destroyed for that where it has written something a few k and then stopped with the same error.

Looks like I will have to seek out old DVD drive discs for Nero which I stopped using when Nero 6 that came with one new drive broke the drive and so also the shops were saying all other drives with the same Nero version at the time. My next drive I bought then was v7 which I I have searched and see no problem was with that or other since then. Have a new OS backup will next try that and hope the drive doesn't get broken by using it. Nero Burning Rom only that is not the bloated the rubbish they have since I think maybe v9 or v11. Why is there so many burning softwares that are useless.

It is a Great Shame that LightningUK didn't continue ImgBurn or maybe he stopped because he knew everyone would be needing session writing as discs had by then already got larger 25GB. And for some reason he disliked session writing even the most basic session writing. Or maybe that he could not code for session writing ability into ImgBurn for DVD and 25GB and greater discs. If he had f done it would the only software I'm sure we would be all using for disc burning.

Good. :)

Erunt has saved my XP installs more than once, it is something that MS should have provided built-in as recovery tool.

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by "time bombed"?

I never heard of issues with Anyburn. :unsure: Maybe it is a specific issue with your install^

Imgburn remains IMHO the best option, but of course - as you say - it misses some of the more recent possibilities, and probably any newer tool won't work on good ol' XP.

jaclaz

• 1 month later...

Error 987a9b5c

This error comes down to CD-DVD-BD optical drive that is no longer able to write to disc can be any type of disc but not necessarily all discs. I could still write to CD but not DVD or BD. Why have such a cryptic error message that no one not on the NET can be found what the reason the error is for. Would be better served with error message that tells us what the problem is instead.

For a while I could bypass the error nut ha to use other software to do so. using ImgBurn to write complete image ISO but for BD that is of no use when need to session burn ImgBurn will finalize the disc so no more data can be append data which ever way you write it image ISO or file build  mode. In the end even ImgBurn started to report errors unable to verify first sectors of a new written disc. I could see the problem on write where it skipped writing first few sectors with error retry. Also test didn't work so unable to test that way to tell or test further instead wasting of discs.

I don't normally use ImgBurn not for long time because it cannot do session burning. That is continue with a new session later to add more data. I'm not promoting ImgBurn either he never supported multi session disc writing which I guess would be the reason the development may have stopped as BD had been implemented and so next thing would have been for ImgBurn to be capable of multi session data writing BD discs.

I tried many softwares including the evil Nero (never used since v6 where it wrote to internal firmware and broke all new drives that they shipped with Nero v6.something). I did so as was using a backup one HDD and the disc burner only. All other softwares also failed, there are many disgusting softwares out there and not many apart from one that is of any use. I won't promote as said software may go payware or otherwise.

Most burning have issue not able to load session correctly of discs burnt by other softwares. Or able to load but not show. Or ability to edit any previous session even to rename any files. Many have nasty one pane layout not left folder tree and right contents of the folder and files within the folder listed there. Nearly all cannot verify the session just written only. Some will verify whole disc, many just verify some files not necessarily the newest files. Some even don't verify anything even if selected t do so. All tools I tried were small size (as possible) the non bloated types all windows freeware ones, that work with Windows XP.

This written with hope that next time I have the same error and of course have forgotten about it. I can search the NET and with hope this post has by then propagated and will be easy to find when search for the error number 987a9b5c

Thanks for your help the broken drive has been replaced. Back to (multi sessions) optical BD disc data storage writing, working fine with no more disc issues as written above. When restored again backup windows returned to normal. Have gathered more recent files and since have gone back to a previous older backup before the error started, Just in case the more recent system still has registry changes so not to affect the current drive (if can happen).

Hope this error helps others to know what the real issue is for error 987a9b5c. As of now I cannot find and there is no mention of this error saying it is a broken drive on internet search engines.

• exogenesis changed the title to DVD When Disc Is Inserted Shows As Local Disk instead Of CD Drive And Disc Writing Error 987a9b5c