Extension Badges

NotHereToPlayGames

Here's a new find I thought I'd share (at least new to me).

I don't use a "ton" of add-ons/extensions but one of the eyesores for the few that I do use is the "badge" that some extension authors provide a config setting to disable :thumbup and other extension authors do not :thumbdown.

Without diving "too deep" into the details, Chrome extionsion .crx files and Firefox extionsion .xpi files both can be extracted via 7-Zip (to name just one program).

We do it quite a bit around here to modify manifest.json for min/max browser versions, for example.

Once you extract the .crx/.xpi for the extension you seek to modify, you'll find several .js files (sometimes just dropped in a root directory, sometimes in their own sub-folder).

Drag-and-drop all of the .js files into Notepad++.

Now do a Ctrl-F (find) for "badge" (without the quotes) and select the "Find All in All Opened Documents" button.

In the results, you'll likely see Text/Color and Background/Color items in only one of all of the .js files - that is the .js file we will modify.

Look for text: contained within parentheses followed most likely by a varialble name or actual text/number inside of single-quotes.

To turn the "badge" OFF, replace the variable name with two single-quotes and no space between, ie '' .

If the text: contains actual text inside of single-quotes, simply delete the actual text but keep the two single-quotes.

Save and repack the .crx/.xpi and install into your browser.

Or, simply just modify the .js file in the browser's Extension folder/sub-folder.

spacer.png

Edited by ArcticFoxie

How would you know the extension status after this modification?

For some extensions this is the only indicator.

And, even when it isn't, i like to be able to tell by simply looking at my toolbar instead of digging through settings.

Well, to each their own...

Didn't say it was for "everyone".

In the case of my Autofill extension, the lightning bolt still turns yellow when it performs its tasks - I do NOT need the "badge" also.

In the case of my Redirector extension, I only disabled the "on" indicator, it still displays "off" when it is off.

I'm providing a means-to-an-end for OTHERS that see those badges as EYESORES.

If that isn't you, no skin off my back  :roll1:

My extensions are ALL OR NOTHING - either I browse with ALL of them on/enabled, or I browser with ALL of them off/disabled (ie, Incognito Mode).

But like I say, "not for everyone".

Guess I forgot to put my "mileage may vary" footnote, lol.