Hotfix 835732 and KB826939

these two hotfixes, KB835732 and KB826939, are both part of my svcpack.inf file, and they both show in my add/remove panel as already being installed, but when I go to windows update, it says I need them. In fact, even after I install them through windows update, reboot, and check windows update again, it STILL says that I need them! What's going on here? :rolleyes:

PS - the hotfix names are

Update Rollup 1 for Microsoft Windows XP (KB826939)

and

Security Update for Windows XP (KB835732)

any help is greatly appreciated! :)

Have you used any of the "REMOVE" batches from jdeboeck found on this site? I have noticed similar behavior with the Update Rollup if I remove certain components that were updated in this update. It seems as though Windows Update may actually check for the presence of certain files to verify that the hotfixes are installed.

Of course, if you download and install the hotfix, I don't think it will create files that don't already exist. So if you removed some file that Windows Update checks for, then install the update, the update will not recreate this file and thus Windows Update will still say you need to install the update.

This is all just a theory of course, so someone else here may have the correct answer :)

Matt

I have the same probleme with these 2 hotfixes

In my case, this is due to the use of jdeboeck batch. I remove some component that the hotfix update.

I thinks that Windows Update doesn't update files if it doesn't find them. So the hotfix is not totally applied and windows update want to reinstall it.

EDIT oups, same things

• 1 month later...

Any updates on that problem due to removing components (with nlite .962 in my case)? Using windowsupdate to reapply KB826939 patch does get it sorted out, but KB835732 keeps showing as needing to be installed... Keeping some of the components such as sytem restore, ms agent and so on has no effect...

835732 needs Netmeeting, actually only three files from it. if you removed netmeeting to reduce the size of source (like i did) here's the inf file to put it back:

call it msnetmtg.inf

[version]

signature="$CHICAGO$"

LayoutFile=layout.inf

SetupClass=BASE

[DefaultInstall]

CopyFiles = NetMtg.Install.App

[NetMtg.Remove]

DelFiles = NetMtg.Remove.App

[DestinationDirs]

NetMtg.Install.App = 16422,%NetMtgDir%

NetMtg.Remove.App = 16422,%NetMtgDir%

[NetMtg.Install.App]

MST120.DLL

nmcom.dll

callcont.dll

[NetMtg.Remove.App]

MST120.DLL,,,1

nmcom.dll,,,1

callcont.dll,,,1

[strings]

NETMTGDIR = "NetMeeting"

cab it along with the three files that it needs from the original CD: callcont.dll, mst120.dll, nmcom.dll, put them all back in i386. works fine.

if you trying to fix already installed machine, copy the files into %programfiles%\Netmeeting. that will give you a windows file protection error (not sure why it still does it on a machine with WFP turned off). so you can use inf file above to intall those. it will prompt you for location if you don't put them in i386 subfolder.

hope this helps.