How to get best Windows 7 experience?

sunryze

41 minutes ago, Tonny52 said:

A little off topic again, but what would be the best performant GPU that Windows 7 would support well?

Any new one. Titan RTX, RTX 3090, 3080 etc got drivers. Also amd new gpu drivers for 6000 series lists win7 as support. I recommend install sha2 signature update and kernel and user mode driver updates for win7. Nvidia driver need sha update

1 hour ago, Tonny52 said:

I actually use pfSense myself, but stopped using Pihole recently after it was acting up a little with my ads (probably could of just tweaked the list).

Good. I though you were advanced power user. You know security well then

22 minutes ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

Any new one. Titan RTX, RTX 3090, 3080 etc got drivers. Also amd new gpu drivers for 6000 series lists win7 as support. I recommend install sha2 signature update and kernel and user mode driver updates for win7. Nvidia driver need sha update

Good. I though you were advanced power user. You know security well then

How do I know if I already have the kernel and user mode driver updates installed? Is it just an update that was released to WU?

9 minutes ago, Tonny52 said:

How do I know if I already have the kernel and user mode driver updates installed? Is it just an update that was released to WU?

kernel mode driver update number is KB2685811 and user mode KB2685813. If you can access windows update you got sha2 update. If you got no those two just click links (ones with kb number)

40 minutes ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

kernel mode driver update number is KB2685811 and user mode KB2685813. If you can access windows update you got sha2 update. If you got no those two just click links (ones with kb number)

Good, I already have all those updates installed.

The only few things that make me want to use 10 is DX12 (although 7 still kind of supports it), Fluency (i don't mind it), and better support for some of my peripherals, like my Xbox One controller. Can't use it in bluetooth on 7.

Alright, I need some insight here. I'm trying to find what OS is good for me.

My main focuses are:
- Running my games and apps well
- Easy to adapt to
- Reliable and Stable
- Security updates available
- Drivers work

And it appears like I have to find which one works best.

Windows 7 fits all those boxes but program support is slowly dropping away (VMWare and Python)
Windows 8.x has the same issues as 7, but program support isn't dropping as hard for those programs.
Windows 10, I am not a fan of the feature updates. I want to install my OS and use it. Windows 10 fits all the boxes, but there are many parts of 10 which just don't make sense. Plus, I don't mind the UI, but I also hate how there is a lot of repeated text in Windows 10.
Linux requires a lot of configuring to get it to fit the boxes
macOS requires me to buy a whole new PC / mess with hackintoshing.

As I said before, the problem for every option is that I feel left out or not in the majority. I see a lot of people here who use 2K, XP, Vista and such and I think its great. I wish I could be in the group of using Legacy Windows. But just 12 hours after I install a legacy OS, I suddenly have an urge to join back in the majority of computers in the world.

As I said before, I am probably just overthinking it. But I need some insight from you guys here. Not from how the OS is, but what mentally pushes you to a certain OS? How do you stick with changing the OS you have used?

2 hours ago, Tonny52 said:

Alright, I need some insight here. I'm trying to find what OS is good for me.

My main focuses are:
- Running my games and apps well
- Easy to adapt to
- Reliable and Stable
- Security updates available
- Drivers work

And it appears like I have to find which one works best.

Windows 7 fits all those boxes but program support is slowly dropping away (VMWare and Python)
Windows 8.x has the same issues as 7, but program support isn't dropping as hard for those programs.
Windows 10, I am not a fan of the feature updates. I want to install my OS and use it. Windows 10 fits all the boxes, but there are many parts of 10 which just don't make sense. Plus, I don't mind the UI, but I also hate how there is a lot of repeated text in Windows 10.
Linux requires a lot of configuring to get it to fit the boxes
macOS requires me to buy a whole new PC / mess with hackintoshing.

As I said before, the problem for every option is that I feel left out or not in the majority. I see a lot of people here who use 2K, XP, Vista and such and I think its great. I wish I could be in the group of using Legacy Windows. But just 12 hours after I install a legacy OS, I suddenly have an urge to join back in the majority of computers in the world.

As I said before, I am probably just overthinking it. But I need some insight from you guys here. Not from how the OS is, but what mentally pushes you to a certain OS? How do you stick with changing the OS you have used?

Do not overthink. My way is this. For most use cases expect programming with python I use windows 7. For python I use linux mint LTS and in my opinion it was easier confgure python on linux. No need download installer just use apt. VMWARE 15 is fine for many years and I got bare metal ESXI hypervisor for any other uses with virtualisation. It can be used over any somewhat decent browser. Also you can get limited noncommercial licence for it free by making my vmware account. Also I can use new vmware tools down to vmware 7. If you do not want win10 consider linux and win7 dualboot. Just need second ssd and grub does rest. LTS is non rolling release of mint.

And installing mint wont need lot configure. Just install it and depending gpu you can be good to go out of box (amd gpu). It also wont harm your win7 install

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000

10 hours ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

Do not overthink. My way is this. For most use cases expect programming with python I use windows 7. For python I use linux mint LTS and in my opinion it was easier confgure python on linux. No need download installer just use apt. VMWARE 15 is fine for many years and I got bare metal ESXI hypervisor for any other uses with virtualisation. It can be used over any somewhat decent browser. Also you can get limited noncommercial licence for it free by making my vmware account. Also I can use new vmware tools down to vmware 7. If you do not want win10 consider linux and win7 dualboot. Just need second ssd and grub does rest. LTS is non rolling release of mint.

And installing mint wont need lot configure. Just install it and depending gpu you can be good to go out of box (amd gpu). It also wont harm your win7 install

Okay, so what I might do is have a dual boot of 10 and 7 on my PC. Use 7 when I feel in that mood, and 10 otherwise.

• 2 months later...

the best version of windows 7 is posready 7 its really fast and has all the telemetry and junk taken out of it i have it on my laptop and its blazing fast:cool: -legacyfan

Edited by legacyfan