My router quites on me.

BradBo

I have a Linksys 4 port route with a DSL line running XP>

Some mornings I get up to surf and my IE wont hook up. I get the white screen that says I am not on line.

Do anyone know what might be happening overnight to block my internet connection?

I have to go out and unplug both my DSL modem and my router to get hooked back up.

Thanks Brad

That was happening to me a while ago, and I thought someone was stealing my connection.. Might seem funny but as soon as I locked my machine up (Internet Firewall, closed most of the ports, etc) It wasn't happening again... So it might be just that... I can't Netmeet with people now, or do some other things, but I rather not be able to do those things than someone stealing my connection. So you might want to take some precautions if you r not already. Let me know if it works for u...

:)

whaaat? steal your connection, how's that possible? even if u're on wireless router

if u set up a firewall why don't u just enable the ports that netmeeting uses or whichever program u use....

I don't know... but one night I came home and found that someone had set up another network connection in My Network PLaces.. Now my machine is locked and no one touches it. The weird thing bout it is that the icon for that connection was somewhat transparent...

I dunno which ports Netmeeting uses.. Also which firewall can I install on my machine which will be good and easy to manage?

for ease of use I'd definitely choose ZoneAlarm, other than that i dunno about how effective each firewall is...

i dunno the port for netmeeting but i'm sure google knows :)

i'd call ghostbusters if i were you :rolleyes:

happens to me too.... that's just a linksys router being a linksys....try a firmware update (they usually fix the prob), or reboot the router. you'll be fine. and if you upgrade/reboot, make sure you remember your configurations since they will be wiped out.

Thanks all.

Again good advice.

I am learning more about my firewalls.Both XP and Sygate.Maybe a little knowledge about my connection will help me.

Also I found a great site called DSL Reports that tested my connection and gave me more insite about how my dsl actually works.