Vista bluescreens randomly and often on 2700X

asdf2345

Windows Server 2008 works fine on the hardware, but because of a few programs I use not wanting to work on a server OS, I went back to Vista, and tried to use my new knowledge to fix the issue.

I tried installing from disk with no XHCI drivers, no effect

I tried the generic XHCI drivers instead of AMD official XHCI drivers, no effect.

I tried installing Vista Business instead of Vista Ultimate, no effect.

I tried replacing all the drivers from Vista with the drivers from 2008, it made things worse.

I tried installing KB2886840 and KB3013808, KB2886840 wasn't needed according to the system, and KB3013808 installed, but didn't fix the problem. I also installed KB2864202 to try and fix the issue, and for those generic XHCI drivers, but it had no effect.

The bluescreens are Bad_Pool_Header, Bad_Pool_Caller, and IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal. There might be more, but I haven't had automatically reboot after system crash turned off for long

I have some minidumps from my current and previous install, if those are helpful

Previous install minidumps

Current install minidumps

I'm going to try one more thing, but it requires a reinstall, so whatever you suggest will be done on a fresh install of Ultimate

30 minutes ago, asdf2345 said:

will transfer over the SSD

Since you are using an ssd can you confirm the backported Server 2003 driver works?

2 hours ago, burd said:

Since you are using an ssd can you confirm the backported Server 2003 driver works?

It was a SATA SSD. I give up, I can't get Vista working,

Also, the driver broke Server 2008 and Vista for me, causing it to either not boot up, or freeze if I tried installing it in setup

7 hours ago, asdf2345 said:

The bluescreens are Bad_Pool_Header, Bad_Pool_Caller, and IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal. There might be more, but I haven't had automatically reboot after system crash turned off for long

whats the stop code are they similar? most google searches say that Bad_Pool_Header and Bad_Pool_Caller are RAM issues , but it could also be the driver issues ,maybe of AMD.

Edited by burd

1 hour ago, burd said:

whats the stop code are they similar? most google searches say that Bad_Pool_Header and Bad_Pool_Caller are RAM issues , but it could also be the driver issues ,maybe of AMD.

The only drivers I have installed are XHCI, and even then, I got the bluescreens before installing the drivers with other installs. I've also tried running the RAM at auto instead of using the XMP profile like I was, but that didn't help.

1 hour ago, burd said:

Also, I don't think I saved the stop codes, but the minidumps should have the stop codes. If not, I can try rebooting back into my Vista install, and try getting them. Staying up for as long as I did trying to install Vista yesterday (and the day before that) has worn me down, so if you don't respond soon, I'll be sleeping.

4 minutes ago, asdf2345 said:

Staying up for as long as I did trying to install Vista yesterday (and the day before that) has worn me down, so if you don't respond soon, I'll be sleeping.

I was busy and the same as you , 72hrs ongoing here. I honestly dont know what can be done , a few people suggest trying safemode but seeing your case it might be some whole other issue completely , perhaps try installing an AHCI driver , in my other laptop Windows 7 gives constant bsods without it.

Edited by burd

Just now, burd said:

I was busy and the same as you , 72hrs ongoing here. I honestly dont know what can be done , a few people suggest trying safemode but seeing your case it might be some whole other issue completely

Yeah, safe mode crashes too. Also, 72 hours is a long time, yesterday I slept after almost 36 hours, which I think was the longest I've gone.

Just now, asdf2345 said:

72 hours is a long time

Sure is , i kinda feel braindead right now :zzz:

1 minute ago, asdf2345 said:

Yeah, safe mode crashes too.

Try putting an ahci driver and see if its any better

Just now, burd said:

Try putting an ahci driver and see if its any better

Once I get a successful boot, I'll try generic AHCI drivers

11 minutes ago, burd said: