Patchmem or related patches for windows 95 and 98SE

cov3rt

2 hours ago, go98 said:

There is an alternative permanent solution, so there's no more need for the rampatch on every install

Alternative for what? Patching vmm32.vxd is part of what the Ram Limitation Patch does, not all of it. The patch is now free and easily available, so why use any less comprehensive alternative?

Hi Dencorso, yes, a modified vcache.vxd may be what it also fixes...but that had already been accessible to the forum (can't remember clearly, here too seldom).

Why use a less comprehensive alternative?
Umm, well, for those who like it :)

does anyone know if there is a particular time you should be installing the ram patch? like would it be better to install it last, after you already installed all other updates, chipset drivers, etc? at least for 98SE, it appears that it requires certain configuring if installed BEFORE the unofficial service pack, but if you install afterwards, assuming you've taken the right steps in the manual ( can somewhat be different still ), then all should be fine thereafter? like mentioned before, for me, i didn't remove min and maxfilecache settings, it was only the maxphyspage that i no longer use if using rloew's patches on either windows 95 or 98SE. for windows 95, right before shutting off the system to install more ram, i set minfilecache and maxfilecache to 1/24 of how much ram i was going to install, installed the patch, shut off system, installed the desired ram, and it worked fine, but again, when i tried experimenting with min and maxfilecache settings, it caused "Strange" issues, so i believe the cache settings are mandatory, at least for me :huh:

Edited by cov3rt

I've been experimenting with when to install it and when to change the system.ini settings myself.  I've not arrived at any solid conclusions so far.  :}  But currently I'm installing the patch as soon as I can after the OS install and before the hardware drivers.  Seems to be working OK, but I haven't even gotten past getting all the hardware drivers working correctly to think about applying the unofficial service pack yet, which may mess everything up.