Jump to content

Windows 98SE on G965 with 6600 and 6600GT


b0070
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello again everyone!

Parts arrive late so i am taking time to build the 98 systems.

Here are 2 finished machines:

1.) The core2duo machine: C2D 3.2Ghz with the Asus board stated above, Geforce 6800 Vanilla 256ram, 2Gb ddr2, Sound blaster audigy, 120gb WIn 98se, 256gb winxp dual boot, sata cd drive, native sata hard disks. [machine has exact backup components, so ideally 1 more machine can be built]

This next machine is a build i had earlier in life :-) i got the parts again not listed in posts above:

2.) Pentium 3 933 on socket 370 compaq board 815 chip, Elsa Eraser3, Riva TnT2 Pro, additional cooling on ram, native clocks. 512MB SD ram, 120gb sata ssd on ssd-ide converter, native ide dvd drive, THIS IS SPECIAL: the cooler is socket 775 new cooler, i personally modded, ask me how and i will share images if you want. The p3 runs cool i can tell but mobo does not show temps. This machine is only for windows 98se with full old dos game support! (again with 1 hardware backup but different agp cards and via board)

Not there is 3rd machine in the works for this i have p4 and based on 478 fujitsu board. i have fx5700, 6600 vanilla agp, radeon 9600 atlantis for this build. any suggestions for this one?

 

I have these 3 builds to address 3 generations of HW for all the fun... i still have lot of hw stashed as backup.. any questions or suggestions.. please shoot!

Link to comment
Share on other sites


10 hours ago, b0070 said:

Hello again everyone!

Parts arrive late so i am taking time to build the 98 systems.

Here are 2 finished machines:

1.) The core2duo machine: C2D 3.2Ghz with the Asus board stated above, Geforce 6800 Vanilla 256ram, 2Gb ddr2, Sound blaster audigy, 120gb WIn 98se, 256gb winxp dual boot, sata cd drive, native sata hard disks. [machine has exact backup components, so ideally 1 more machine can be built]

This next machine is a build i had earlier in life :-) i got the parts again not listed in posts above:

2.) Pentium 3 933 on socket 370 compaq board 815 chip, Elsa Eraser3, Riva TnT2 Pro, additional cooling on ram, native clocks. 512MB SD ram, 120gb sata ssd on ssd-ide converter, native ide dvd drive, THIS IS SPECIAL: the cooler is socket 775 new cooler, i personally modded, ask me how and i will share images if you want. The p3 runs cool i can tell but mobo does not show temps. This machine is only for windows 98se with full old dos game support! (again with 1 hardware backup but different agp cards and via board)

Not there is 3rd machine in the works for this i have p4 and based on 478 fujitsu board. i have fx5700, 6600 vanilla agp, radeon 9600 atlantis for this build. any suggestions for this one?

 

I have these 3 builds to address 3 generations of HW for all the fun... i still have lot of hw stashed as backup.. any questions or suggestions.. please shoot!

if you haven't already use this program, "Hmonitor 4.1.4.5 (October 2004)" should be able to show your cpu, hdd and motherboard temperatures for your pentium 3 / 4 system, i'm not sure if it will be able to do the same with the core 2 duo one, but you can always try. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi b0070. Thanks for sharing your builds. Please share cooler pictures and information, much appreciated. Not sure exactly what games and software you plan to run, if i was to build another dedicated Windows 98 system, a Pentium I or Pentium II would be great for older DOS games. Even with my current 800 MHz system, slowdown utilities are sometimes needed, think they would play better with more native for the era hardware.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

On 9/11/2020 at 12:17 PM, Wunderbar98 said:

Hi b0070. Thanks for sharing your builds. Please share cooler pictures and information, much appreciated. Not sure exactly what games and software you plan to run, if i was to build another dedicated Windows 98 system, a Pentium I or Pentium II would be great for older DOS games. Even with my current 800 MHz system, slowdown utilities are sometimes needed, think they would play better with more native for the era hardware.

Hi there!

The only dos games i played were-paratrooper, digdug, dangerous dave and 2-3 more. So I don't fancy a dedicated dos machine and hence i did not invest in a p2 or older slot one system. Although i had computers at school since 1991 but i dint get mine till 1999 and it was a 370 socket p3 933 mhz, hence the same built :-). That machine i build myself. So as i run my favorite games upwards on a p3, i will limit myself at these machines. I used to have a Nintendo for games in mid 90s so i have couple of Nintendo systems for that.

Yes, i will post some pictures soon! I only use 1 system at a time due to 4 system desks limit in my study and 3 are taken by modern machines so... i will find time to pull out each, open and take some detailed shots and post soon! Good day/night!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/11/2020 at 6:45 AM, cov3rt said:

if you haven't already use this program, "Hmonitor 4.1.4.5 (October 2004)" should be able to show your cpu, hdd and motherboard temperatures for your pentium 3 / 4 system, i'm not sure if it will be able to do the same with the core 2 duo one, but you can always try. 

Thank you for the tip, i shall download and try it soon and post some results too. (for the 775 cooler effect on socket 370 P3) as i am very curious what temp it shows. The c2d machine is ok, it shows the temps and its quite stable around 47-55 *c. The oem bios are very limited and i have not been able to get advanced settings despite trying different key combos. Thanks again!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...