How to get rid of pre-roll ads?

Both html5 and flash, preferably. Pi-hole DNS blocking does a great job, but pre-roll ads aren't blockable that way. It's said AdTrap can do it... can it? And even in case it does, isn't it too costly? Please advise.

Is this something you need on your local machine in your browse or some more complex user scenario? I don't see them and it sounds like something well configured uBlock Origin should have handled, but I guess you are asking here because this is not enough for your needs.

Well, I'd rather have something that works for the whole LAN, and works across the various browsers I have in my multiboot machines, without having to be set up browser-by-browser. Pi-hole just works, but DNS-based blocking is unable to block those crappy pre-roll ads. So it's just not enough. When every newsreel CNN gives you forces you to watch the same pre-roll about Vietnam's Vin Group or some bank in Africa, and every YouTube clip brings you those cancel-after-5-seconds pre-roll ads, it does get exasperating, doesn't it?

• 1 month later...