Xeon CPU choice

frankr2994

Ok got a Dell t5810. Original vendor was going to supply me with one that had an e5-1603 v3 cpu. I went ahead and ordered an e5-1650 v3 cpu. The virus screwed me out of getting that 5810 though. Located another one actually at a better price and it came with an e5-2640 v3. So now I have an 8 core 2.6-3.4 cpu and a 6 core 3.5-3.8 cpu. Benchmarks look very similar across the board.. This is for a co worker that will be doing GPU accelerated video editing and encoding. I contacted the software company he uses for video editing and all they can tell me is they recommend an I5 cpu. Could not tell me if it can use more cores and what not. I have both here so what would you do? Should I install both and benchmark myself? I know nothing about video editing so I can't really fake my way though that. 

It really comes down to how the software uses the processor.

Here's the Ark comparison:
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=83359,82765

The memory bandwidth and speed is better on the 1650, but the CPU cache is better on the 2640. The 2640 is also designed to be used in dual-proc boards, hence why it supports QPI and the other one does not (look at the Bus Speed numbers.)

In a real world scenario, the program itself may have a determining factor for which of these two CPUs are the ideal choice, however it is also possible that the observable difference may be negligible.

Great info thanks. I did miss the memory speed difference. I'll have to pull a memory module but I thought I had 2133 memory and it's showing up running at 1866 which is max for the 2640. I think as little as that would be I may make that my determining factor. I'm not going to let him edit a video on each processor to make a choice. If I have 2133 I'll switch to the 1650. Either choice is going to work light years better than what he's used to.