What is the best laptop out there right now?

HyDeNCiTy

Sorry I know that the subject does not match the post... I just realized that... My bad guys...

I a trying to find a laptop for my boss and money is not an issue.

Specs:

801.11 compatible

modem

ethernet

over 512 MB RAM

over 1.5 G MHZ

14.1" Display (has to be that size)

XP Pro

built in DVD drive

touch pad (a must)

can't weigh anymore than 5 pounds

and 1" thin

Let me know what u guys think!! Thanx! :)

I recommend an IBM T41.

I have a T40 and it is by far one of the best laptops you can ever own. I also wanted to mention I was a big fan of touchpad until I bought my first IBM and started using the trackpoint. It is actually a lot faster for me!

IBM T41 EXAMPLE (FROM IBM WEBSITE): [$2,059.00]1.60 GHz Intel® Pentium® M, Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional, 512 MB, 40 GB, 4.50 lbs, 4.7 Hrs (with 1 battery), 14.1" XGA (1024x768), IBM Embedded Security Subsystem 2.0, 11a/b/g, Gigabit Ethernet, 32MB ATI Mobility RADEON 7500, CD-RW/DVD-ROM, Ultrabay Slim, Dimensions: WxHxD, 1inx10inx12.2in

Search google and you'll find various laptop reviews. Again, I don't think you can go wrong with an IBM (you have 3yrs warranty).

I second IBM, especially for the unmatched support. I have a Thinkpad that is over ten years old now and I can still go to the IBM web site and get whatever information and software I need for it. Parts are easy to get also. :)

I've had a Fujitsu E7010 for 2 years now and it has worked flawlessly for me ever since. It actually seems faster than an IBM T40 of the same config which my mother bought 2 weeks after I got mine. My laptop has been dropped a couple of times and has had a couple of things dropped on its closed cover, and its still working as good as the day I got it. And the silver shell looks a hell lot better than the matt black of the IBM. The Fujitsu screen is also way better - brighter, sharper and much clearer. I've got twice as many startup programs as my mom and my Fujitsu still starts up faster than her IBM still running the same programs as the day she got it. You may want to consider a Fujitsu.

Hmmm, 5.88 lbs for T41 versus 4.5 lbs for Fujitsu - IBM does not meet your specs, but if you throw out your specs as useless, then IBM is great. Without your specs, the field is much wider, why did you bother including them?

Sager is a good brand for all-out power, they use all of the latest parts last time I checked (they have laptops that outperform many desktops)

Desktop P4s, Radeon 9600 Mobility, AMD64s... you get the picture

Voodoopc also has similar systems, though I have heard little about them.

Hmmm, 5.88 lbs for T41 versus 4.5 lbs for Fujitsu - IBM does not meet your specs, but if you throw out your specs as useless, then IBM is great. Without your specs, the field is much wider, why did you bother including them?

Techtype,

This is my boss' machine. This is what he wants to get so I have to stick to them. U wouldn't want for me to get fired would u??

In anycase, I decided to go with the IBM T41. It's 4.9 LBS and 1.2 " thin. So it met my criteria...

Thanx guys, Thanx for ur help. :)

Glad to hear that!

A few things:

1. When you first get your T41, call up ibm and request the "recovery" CDs. They are free if you call within 30 days from the day your bought the laptop.

2. IBM eats up some chunk from the HD because they actually create a partition and store those aforementioned recovery CDs in it. (basically, if for some reason, your laptop just won't start, there is a button you can click and it brings up a menu where you can restore everything back to the first day you got the laptop) On my system it took up about 5GBs.

3. There are several excellent ways to keep your system updated

-IBM Update Connector (simply updates your computer w/o the need for you to know what version the drivers/softwares are.)

-IBM Software Installer (it displays your current software versions, and shows you the versions on the IBM website, you will have to figure out which ones you should download)

-IBM Matrix Driver Downlods (this is online, where you go online and basically download everything manually and check the versions manually)

-IBM Automated Solutions (basically a wannabe tech support)

4. If you do call, and if this is your first IBM. Mention that you are a first time buyer and you heard you are eligible for a 20% discount! (on the express models, you might not have that luxury, but sometimes the sales rep. gives you 5%). Regardless, it doesn't hurt to try!

A while back a very nice person wrote a FAQ on T40s (which is almost the same for to T41s)

http://www.aaltonen.us/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9

Congrats!

My point is that you are misinformed on your weight. The IBM weighs 5 lbs without the CD drive - Duh! True weight is as I said 5.8 lbs, your boss will not be pleased. The Fujitsu weighs 4.5 lbs with it's drive. Anyway, IBMs are fine, especially if your boss never weighs it.