Alfa AWUS1900 Windows XP Driver

FranceBB

Hi there,

I've recently purchased a new USB Wi-Fi adapter: Alfa AWUS1900.

It's brand new and bought it specifically 'cause since it was first released to the public in 2013, it has drivers from Windows XP up to Windows 10. 

As a matter of fact, I quickly downloaded the drivers from here (official Alfa website): https://files.alfa.com.tw/?dir=[1] WiFi USB adapter/AWUS1900/Windows

On Windows 10, when I ran the Setup Wizard, everything was fine and the USB adapter was working, but when I tried to install the drivers on Windows XP using the same Setup Wizard, it prompted me to a big fat bluescreen.

I tried to reboot and do it again: bluescreen.

I tried to install the driver in safe mode: bluescreen.

I rebooted, I logged back in my account and I installed the driver by prompting the installer to the location of the .ini file on my desktop \windows_xp_32_64bit_1024.6\windows_xp_32_64bit_1024.6\RTWLANU_Driver\WinXP and the installation completed successfully, however the Device Manager says "This device cannot start. (Code 10)".

What really p***es me off is that they even advertise "Compatible with Windows XP" on the package but it clearly doesn't work! (I can post a picture if you want).

I would really like to know whether it's them not testing drivers on XP or me who has something wrong in my configuration.

1NL2Amg.png

VfpEboL.png

WG6qnwR.png

83HezE3.png

ginAmvT.png

07Anq8l.png

7GQS2sR.png

This is what Microsoft website says about error code 10:

Code 10 "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

Full Error Message

"This device cannot start. Try upgrading the device drivers for this device. (Code 10)"

Cause

Typically, the device's hardware key contains a "FailReasonString" value, and the value string is displays an error message defined by the hardware manufacturer. If the hardware key does not contain a “FailReasonString” value the message above is displayed.

Recommended resolutions

Update the driver

Useless of course, as I can't update the driver, I already have the very latest and greatest version! -.-

Edited by FranceBB

Have you tried the newer XP driver from the AWUS1900.zip package? It is dated 2019-06-15 and versioned '1030.8.0203.2016'. Fully uninstall the device from device manager (with fully removing the driver in count) and install the newer one manually by device manager.

If this awus1900.zip driver wont work (and assuming info depot wiki is right about the pci id of the device), try the latest winxp driver provided by drp.su https://drp.su/en/hwids/USB\VID_0BDA%26PID_8813?os=windows-xp-x86

Ok so with the new drivers it works absolutely fine! :)

Just a question though: every time I get a new network adapter, I always have to memorize all my networks from scratch. Is there a way to share the memorized networks between the network adapters?

You know, it's not a big deal, I've been doing this for years, but I'm getting lazier as years pass... :P