Concern with installing old update

kuja killer

Hello, I want to ask about a specific windows update before i install it. First let me explain. I recently gotten a couple blue screen of death's whenever closing out of the Chrome Browser. I've researched on google for many many hours, looked through many forums and sites. The BSOD i get is about win32k.sys -- I've downloaded "windbg" tool to look at the crash dump details, and it specifically states "chrome.exe" as the process that causes it.

I'm not going to try and make this way too long to read, but after hours of research, there's supposedly a windows update that might possibly work.

It's " Update for Windows XP KB959252 " - All the official microsoft links i found to this are either "404 page not found" or "file not found" pages. This page listed the kb959252 about chrome and win32k.sys, but links to a microsoft page that isnt avaiable anymore.

https://www.ruggieroav.com/Microsoft_Updates_and_Fixes

Eventually i found it from this website, finally:

http://thehotfixshare.net/board/index.php?autocom=downloads&showfile=9650

I had to go to wayback machine to view a microsoft page that tells what files are modified in this update. And the win32k.sys file had a timestamp of 2008

But the win32k.sys file on my computer currently says: Version 5.1.2600.6514 - Time 2/6/2014 7:01 PM

Is it safe to apply this update ?? I was worried that it might accidently rollback the version and time to this 2008 version. I just want to be extra sure before i install this update to see if it resolves the BSOD's from chrome. Just hope it doesnt make the file an older version if that makes sense. :(

Edited by kuja killer

If the version of win32k.sys on your computer is newer than the one of the update's then I think there is no point in trying to install the update. As for Chrome Browser, maybe you use a version not compatible with Windows XP? If it worked until now then something changed in your system or the browser was upgraded (maybe automatically).

Edited by HarryTri

1 hour ago, HarryTri said:

If the version of win32k.sys on your computer is newer than the one of the update's then I think there is no point in trying to install the update. As for Chrome Browser, maybe you use a version not compatible with Windows XP? If it worked until now then something changed in your system or the browser was upgraded (maybe automatically).

Ah i see. Okay, i wont do it then, glad I asked cause i really didnt know. And no i havent done anything important or installed anything recently. I only ever use chrome to sometimes watch youtube videos, discord (web browser type cause the actual program is only for windows 7), and watching streams on "live.fc2.com" since firefox 52 cant play streams from there.

I have the last chrome version avaiable for win XP i think ?? since it always says "this computer will no longer receive updates" - Version 49.0.2623.112

These BSOD's happened after i was done watching a youtube video for example, closed the tab -- then click the X in the top right to close chrome, and then instantly get the BSOD - It's only happened 2 times ever so far. :( (the instant i closed chrome, each time) - The 1st time by the way also said "kmixer.sys" which is apparently related to Windows audio mixing.

Edited by kuja killer