Remote Desktop Connections for Multiple Users at the same time

bookie32

Hi guys!

Have a customer that runs a book keeping company...

He needs to be able to allow multiple connections/sessions to one computer at once via remote desktop....

Can someone tell me the right way to do this?

bookie32

One way is using RDP Wrapper. It won't work out-of-the-box on updated Windows builds since the author doesn't update it anymore so you'll have to search through the issues page or elsewhere to get the information about what to add to rdpwrap.ini, located at C:\Program Files\RDP Wrapper after installation. When modifying rdpwrap.ini, make sure to leave an empty line at the end to avoid unexpected crashes.

rdpwrap.ini contains instructions on how to work with particular version of termsrv.dll, which is what makes accepting Remote Desktop connections possible. Remote Desktop Services service has to be restarted for changes to take effect, but if the process that hosts it also hosts other services, then they all have to be stopped (and restarted in the end) before restarting Remote Desktop Services service.

There's also a thread on MDL forums discussing patching of termserv.dll file directly on disk, as well as RDP Wrapper method. The former method is clunkier, as it involves getting yourself permission over termserv.dll at C:\Windows\System32, then using the hex editor to search and replace several bytes. If you use that method, changing the name of the original file then making a copy with correct name and making modifications to it will leave the original copy in the component store (though I haven't tested whether this actually stops DISM from complaining about corrupted file if you run a scan - maybe it still complains about unlinked file unless that is SFC's job :dubbio:- about which I'm positive would react to the change if ran).

I'd go with the wrapper unless you find a special reason to mess with termserv.dll directly.

I do thank UCyborg for the information but as mikedigitize points out this would probably need to be addressed every six months and that isn't an option for a customer....

Please tell me if I am wrong...but have seen this?

bookie32