VMware Workstation 6.5 on Windows 2000?

punio

Hi there,

From what I understand, VMware Workstation 6.5 is supposed to work perfectly on Windows 2000, and I have seen quite a few people saying they got it to run as well. However, when I tried to install it, I keep getting this error message:

’Setup failed to generate the SSL keys needed to install VMware Server. Press OK to cancel the installation.’

Many posts online seem to blame a duplicate of a file called openssl.exe, but that doesn’t seem to be the case with me. The list of last versions of software for Windows 2000 says I have to do a registry edit to say it’s Windows XP, but there seems to be nothing on there telling us how to actually do the edit. How do I get it working?

Never had that error message.

Vmware 6.5.5 is the last ver to run on Windows 2000 vanilla.

Vmware 7.1.3 with Blackwingcat files

VMWare Workstation v7.1.3 (This was from back in 2011 so not sure what the latest ver of Vmware is now with extended core)

1. Installers errors out on not being compatible with Windows 2000.
2. Use FCWIN2k from the KDW wrapper to fake Windows XP SP3 to begin the install.
3. When the install gets to a dialog window DO NOT CLICK THROUGH.
4. Go to the TEMP directory of your profile.
5. Make a copy of the vmware folder.
6. Close vmware setup and fcwin2k.
7. Make a backup copy of "vmware workstation.msi"
8. Modify vmware player.msi with Orca and remove the LaunchCondition.

9. Executing vnetlib.exe in installation folder you will receive the following error:

"The procedure entry point GetInheritanceSourceW could not be located in the dynamic link library ADVAPI32.dll"

YOU MUST PERFORM STEP #10 OTHERWISE VMWARE WORKSTATION WILL NOT INSTALL!!
10. Install the KDW wrapper and install advapi32.dll

11. Install Vmware Workstation.

12. During install you may receive the following errors:

---------------------------
vmnat.exe - Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point CancelIPChangeNotify could not be located in the dynamic link library IPHLPAPI.DLL. 

vmware-authd.exe - Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point GetProcessImageFileNameW could not be located in the dynamic link library PSAPI.DLL. 

Just press OK to contiune. (We will fix these errors later)

13. After install is done reboot.

14. Download vm313a.zip from Blackwingcat.
15. Modify the script to reflect changes for vmware workstation instead of player.
16. Run the script and then reboot.
17. Vmware Workstation should now work.

Edited by DosFreak

I managed to install VMWare Player 3.1.3 (based on Workstation 7.x) using the extended kernel 2.8/2.9 sometime ago. You can use NNN4NT5 or a couple of scripts @blackwingcat includes with the extended kernel (in "Windows 2000 Power Pack" start menu folder or %systemroot%\WINNT) to make all of the msis think they're running on XP.

Then I ran his VMware script and it worked, though there wasn't much advantage over Workstation 6.5.x, as I corrupted W7 x86\Vista x64 VMs trying to enable Aero, then bluescreened the host when trying to install W7 x64.

However, it appears he was luckier and got Windows 8 to work with Player 3.1.6

http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/1924659.html

However, he didn't make any scripts for player 4.x/workstation 8.x and beyond. I tried to install Workstation 10 and most of the services would not start (if they even installed), rendering it useless.

http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/1544432.html

Can VMWare Player 4.0 be installed on Windows 2000?
It looks a little difficult.

Why?、
1.The installer can no longer run with the MSI
2.The installer has been hardened with MSI and there is a check in it.
3.The Win2000 non-compliant instruction is quite in the core driver.

It is possible to start if only to start by installing forcibly in this environment, but at present, if you try to start the virtual OS, I'm falling.

Edited by win32