Error 0cx000007b On Game Launch

Moon1

One thing I can add is that Dependency Walker is very old and produces misleading results on modern OS. The last version is from 2006! Way before the Universal C Runtime (those api-ms-win files) was introduced.

Use Dependencies from here:

https://github.com/lucasg/Dependencies/releases

It should give more accurate results.

I don't know of any specific program to check the manifest version of the exe, and even if I did, I doubt I'd be able to understand how to use it, or interpret the result. The only thing I did manage to do was use Notepad. I didn't try on the game's exe, since I uninstalled the game ( for now), but I did test it on the two other Tomb Raider games I have, as well as a few other games. I know Notepad can't read a lot of what the file includes, but the only instance of a manifest version was "manifestVersion="1.0", which doesn't tell me anything I want to know.

I did try to use the more updated Dependencies program, as MrMateczko suggested, but I couldn't get it to run. I tried the "Dependencies_x64_release.zip" listed on that page, but I got an error, so I don't know if I was using the wrong one or what.

I know you guys are doing the best you can, without having  my computer in front of you, and I sincerely appreciate your help. As jumper said previously, it's better to find out what's causing this instead of just randomly installing dlls or what not, but at this point I just don't know what to do. I wish I was more technical when it comes to computers, but I'm not :(

What was the error?

The Universal C Runtime (KB2999226) is NOT telemetry/upgrade to Windows 10!

It is the API that programs built using Visual Studio 2015/2017 (such as your game) uses. It is required for Windows 7 to support such programs.

Dunno who tells it's a bad update, but the source has to be updated.

Try installing it to see if the game starts working:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2999226/update-for-universal-c-runtime-in-windows

Edited by MrMateczko

Hi MrMateczko :)

I attached a screenshot of the error I get while trying to run Dependencies.

In regards to the Universal C Runtime update, I found it here on the forums 

But now I see that the topic hasn't been updated in over a year, so I have no idea how reliable this information is anymore, or if I need to worry about installing any of the updates listed. But I will see if installing that update helps. 

Thank you :)

Capture1.jpg

48 minutes ago, Tripredacus said:

It is on the github issues page:

https://github.com/lucasg/Dependencies/issues/24

Regarding the Upgrading against your will... that doesn't happen anymore that I am aware of. So you only have to worry about pure telemetry, if that is your thing.

Thanks Tripredacus :)

I read the fix for the error in running Dependencies. via your link. According to the post, Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable 2017 is required in order to run the program, which I already have installed. So who knows why it isn't working for me.  Also, thanks so much for letting me know I shouldn't worry too much anymore about any updates forcing me to upgrade to Win10. I know eventually I'll have to, but not just yet lol! :p  I guess I'll just have to read through to see which ones ARE telemetry updates.

Anyway, I'll try installing the Universal C Runtime , and then reinstall the game and give it a go.

Thank you :)

Hi guys :)

I finally got around to installing the Universal C Runtime update, as MrMateczko had suggested, then reinstalled the game. Before starting it up, I checked it in DependencyWalker just for the heck of it, and it was no longer trying to access the dlls in the Skype folder. I then tried to fire up the game and....success! I haven't tried actually playing as of yet, so who knows if/when I'll experience the in-game issues countless others have been having - but that's something different entirely.

I just wanted to come back here to let you guys know that the game is able to start up now with no problems! Thank you all so much for all of your help. I sincerely appreciate your time and patience... I knew this was the right place to seek help :)  

You guys are awesome! :)

Glad you got it working. It's just strange that you had to mess with Universal C Runtime specifically. It's supposed to install along with Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable as it cannot function without it.

BTW, Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable is never needed if 2017 is already installed as the latter is binary compatible upgrade to the former (2017 will always replace 2015). Programs compiled with Visual Studio 2015 work without modification with 2017 redistributable.

Thanks for the reply, UCyborg :)

If it was supposed to install with Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable, then that's got me a little concerned. If it can't function without it, then it makes me wonder if that Visual C++ Redist, is actually functioning as it should.

I had two and a half hours of problem-free game play last night, but when I went to play today, I had major sound issues...it sounded like static. No other game is having this issue, and anything else like YouTube videos,movies, etc is having any problem..just this game. No game settings or computer settings were changed, so I have no clue what the heck is going on. Just when I thought I was out of the woods >.>

Edited by Moon1