Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

Sign in to follow this  
shorterxp

Error 995: Anybody familiar, how to fix?

Posted (edited)

Hi,

I have an online multiplayer game that would not function as it should. Hopefully someone can help.

Upon login, theres two stages, file verification followed by connection to master server should it pass verfication. Verification prevents cheats.

I tested two XP SP3 variants, nlited and default. On default, applicaiton is able to connect to verification server - but on nlited OS it fails (fig.1) - therefore nlite OS is to blame for failed connect to veri. server. Although not the main problem, I'd be greatful if anyone has any suggesitons about what in nlite is needed to ensure porper functioning of ports / internet over wifi. I can broswe the internet (evidently) but when it comes to applicaitons, there is a problem underlying somwhere. This app is a .NET build so it could related to .NET. I have installed all .net and it doesn't change anyhting.

fig.1 untitled2.png

Now that proper OS is installed and verification succeeds, the next step (fig.2) is shown for a few seconds,

fig.2 untitled.png

After this dialog, connection to master server is made and game starts. This is version 1.5.0.0 (outdated),

However, once in-game the server list is not populated because client is outdated. It will only populate if client is latest version.

The game offers to update client files and automatically (download / apply patches). After auto-updating to latest version - 1.5.4.5 - still no verification error but instead a new error:

fig.3 untitled.png

This did not happen on 1.5.0.0.

Therefore a problem lies in one of the 6 patches/updates released since 1.5.0.0. These can be downloaded and manually applied. So I un/reinstalled game, manually download and applied each patch individually, whilst checking login after each patch to find when problem starts:

1.5.4.0 patch applied - no error logging in, successful connect to master server
1.5.4.1 as above
1.5.4.2 as above
1.5.4.3 as above
1.5.4.4 as above
1.5.4.5 patch applied - Error 995

It seems the error begins with 1.5.4.5. I have consulted the devleopers and they said its impossible nothing related has changed with the login code.

Previous Veri error and 995 error are absolutely not the same.

Veri error = fig. 1 followed by, fig.2 a few sec later. There is a delay.

Error 995 = appears instantaneously as user clicks Play/Connect. No delay.

What on gods earth is this? I could update OS to win 10 but I don't have necessary hardware to do so.

Please help  / open to suggestions 

Some Info collected about Error 995.

995 is an error reported by the IO Completion Port. The error comes since you try to continue read from the socket when it has most likely been closed.

source

and

Most likely, the service is running out of time to complete the process.

source

and

Disconnect USB devices

Disconnect all the USB devices. In case the keyboard and mouse but are connected through the USB slot, remove them one by one to check if it resolves the issue.

Re-enable COM Port

If an error code 995 accompanies this message, it could be because of the IO Completion Port, which appears when you try to continue the Read from the socket when it has most likely been closed. Disable the COM port in the Device Manager and Enable it again. See if this helps.

Check in Clean Boot State

Perform a Clean Boot and see if you receive this error. If you do not receive any errors, you need to troubleshoot the issue manually by disabling/enabling the processes and trying to identify which of these may be causing the problem.

source

Edited by shorterxp

Not sure if there is any program out there I can use to trace stuff under the hood as attempts are made? processmon?

Your picture with the 995 message is not loading for me, it shows a blue "image not found" image.

Posted (edited)

Bump

The developer added a log functionality now attached to process? From the log file returned (below). Any ideas? They personally said they can't tell from this alone:

Project Reality Log File
PRLauncher.exe started at: 2018-07-26T17:03:13

Warning: Socket error 995: 
   at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.EndRead(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
   at Reality.BF2.GameSpy.GameSpyClient.(IAsyncResult )

> Unable to read data from the transport connection: The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request.

Edited by shorterxp

I would guess, the server closes the connection, but the client doesn't check for the active connection and instead tries to continue issuing requests to it. I would suspect that the client would behave the same way with either the correct or incorrect OS. It might be conflicting information, typically a Socket Error is referring to network communication. A thread exit should give a different error... in the normal world. Since this error is coming from the software, we can't expect it to show exact information we would see from Windows.

So the thought would be, what is different in the communication from the "working" and "non-working" installation? You'd have to do a Wireshark (or other network monitoring) capture on your interface during both operations, and compare them to see what might be different. You would think the request from the software would be different in each situation, as the remote server would not be able to make a determination about the client on its own.

There is a problem with this approach however. Since it is a product under active support, the developers may not look kindly on this type of information being posted to the public internet.

Posted (edited)

Ok thanks not sure I understand any of that though... maybe the dev will

Edited by shorterxp