Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

Sign in to follow this  
shorterxp

Error 995: Anybody familiar, how to fix?

Hi, I'd really be interested by input from anyone inclined in networking here...

I have an online multiplayer game that won't connect. Web browsing works but when it comes to said game, there is a problem underlying somwhere. Game implimentation has been ruled out. [ Edit: and so has ISP ] making it a hardware / software / OS configuration issue.,

The game (.exe) starts a main menu visible on the desktop. Its a visual studio affair (2012). One of the buttons is 'Play' which, normally should initate fullscreen mode, inside is the server browser etc. Upon clicking Play on the main, external menu, theres two stages, file verification followed by connection to master server, should it pass verfication. Verification prevents cheats.

I tested two XP SP3 variants, nlited and full fat. On nlited OS, 1301 is thrown instantly after clicking play (fig.1) contrast to Fullfat where a brief pause ensues, followed by error 995.

untitled2.png

fig. 1: running nlite OS, 1301 is returned instantly after clicking Play on main menu.

untitled.png

fig.2 running full-fat, un-modified OS, this is shown briefly first... then folowed by fig.3.

untitled.png

fig.3

Some Info collected about Error 995. Might help.

995 is an error reported by the IO Completion Port. The error comes since you try to continue read from the socket when it has most likely been closed.

source

and

Most likely, the service is running out of time to complete the process.

source

This app is a .NET build so it could related to .NET. I have installed all .net and it doesn't seem to have changed anyhting.

UPDATE 2019

I have tried an entirely different chipset/motherboard and the problem still persists, a surprise to me as I though it was perhaps a hidden nforce firewall (clearly it isn't).

To re-iterate, OS is not the cause because it occurs in both full fat vs nlite XPSP3, in each case the problem manifest slightly differently but the end result is ultimately the same. no connection.

The main connection is a wireless adapter USB dongle, which subsequently connects to a 'public' hotspot. Thankfully I as able to rule out the hotspot (and ISP and any potential firewalls therein) as the cause because I connected to an alternative hotspot, more specifically, a smart-phone acting as a 4G hotspot. So if it isn't the ISP and symptoms show in full fat XP, then it can only be hardware / software configuration issue...

I'd really be interested by input from anyone inclined in networking. I have attached IPconfig report (below) might help? I heavily suspect the USB WIFI dongle. Its not a 'physical' ethernet connection, which is what games usually expect. However that isn't no say I haven't connected via Wireless in the past to play this game though.

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : win
        Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . : DNSwin
        Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
        IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No           <------------ Is this normal?
        WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No           <------------ Is this normal?
        DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : DNSwin

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : B8-97-5A-2F-87-EF

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : TP-LINK Wireless USB Adapter
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 50-3E-AA-57-FF-1D
        Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
        Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.32.194.155
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.248
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.32.194.153
        DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.32.194.153
        DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.22.22
        Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 11 January 2019 19:09:44
        Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 11 January 2019 19:24:44

Also unclear is whether its normal for the "Network Address" field to be blank? Its in advanced settings tab of the physical Ethernel in Device Manager.

untitled.jpg

Edited by shorterxp

Your picture with the 995 message is not loading for me, it shows a blue "image not found" image.

Bump

A developer kindly coded and incorporated a log/trace feature into the games login process. This is what it returned. When I sent this info to them they stated that it was insufficient to for him to advance on the cause.

Project Reality Log File
PRLauncher.exe started at: 2018-07-26T17:03:13

Warning: Socket error 995: 
   at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.EndRead(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
   at Reality.BF2.GameSpy.GameSpyClient.(IAsyncResult )

> Unable to read data from the transport connection: The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request.
Edited by shorterxp

I would guess, the server closes the connection, but the client doesn't check for the active connection and instead tries to continue issuing requests to it. I would suspect that the client would behave the same way with either the correct or incorrect OS. It might be conflicting information, typically a Socket Error is referring to network communication. A thread exit should give a different error... in the normal world. Since this error is coming from the software, we can't expect it to show exact information we would see from Windows.

So the thought would be, what is different in the communication from the "working" and "non-working" installation? You'd have to do a Wireshark (or other network monitoring) capture on your interface during both operations, and compare them to see what might be different. You would think the request from the software would be different in each situation, as the remote server would not be able to make a determination about the client on its own.

There is a problem with this approach however. Since it is a product under active support, the developers may not look kindly on this type of information being posted to the public internet.

Ok thanks not sure I understand any of that though... maybe the dev will

Edited by shorterxp