dependency walker help / issues

i was wondering if someone can explain to me why i have the errors i have with dependency walker 2.2, occurs in both 32 bit and 64 bit versions when tested on windows 7 and windows 10 64 bit. i am simply trying to check some programs, and it is the installer file "WSC Guard 4.0 WSC Setup", as well as "OdysseyClient" which is odyssey client 4.56. 

i am a "noob" in general to using dependency walker and all i wanted to know is what dependencies those two programs use, but when i try to open both files, it returns an error of processing issues, specifically saying "No Dos or PE signatures found. this file is not a valid 32 bit or 64 bit module." error, at least one file was not a 32 bit or 64 bit windows module."

i went ahead and googled these errors, browsed many sites and forums and could not find any clear solution from anyone to the problem. so i guess my last question was if someone can do me a favor and see what dependencies these two programs need, someone did this for me a while back in the thread below for a game, and so i was hoping someone can do the very same thing, my goal is to find out what these programs require that otherwise would not allow them to install or run properly for windows 95 / NT4. i do not have the link to the odyssey client 4.56 but i do have the wayback machine one for "WSC Guard 4.0 WSC Setup" , first you have to go "https://web.archive.org/web/20050902090217/http://www.wirelesssecuritycorp.com/wsc/public/WPAAssistant.do" and then in the downloads section, click wsc guard to download wsc guard 4.0. 

Edited by cov3rt

OK for the file in the wayback link (referred to as setup.exe) I can see it is running InstallShield, and the manifest is present and requires Microsoft Windows Common Controls v6.0 x86. So there is your first requirement.

I have no issue seeing dependencies on this exe, but I do see that teh File OS data in VS_VERSION_INFO says "DOS (Windows16)" which I am not sure if it is worth noting. But it is not saying the EXE is a 16bit file, as I did a test install to get the contents on a 64bit OS. Dependency Walker v2.2.6000 (x86) can also open the setup.exe without error. WscGuard.exe shows the expected WINDOWS32 data for File OS, but the dependencies are much different.

Can you do a walkthrough or post a picture of what exactly you are trying to open?

3 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

OK for the file in the wayback link (referred to as setup.exe) I can see it is running InstallShield, and the manifest is present and requires Microsoft Windows Common Controls v6.0 x86. So there is your first requirement.

I have no issue seeing dependencies on this exe, but I do see that teh File OS data in VS_VERSION_INFO says "DOS (Windows16)" which I am not sure if it is worth noting. But it is not saying the EXE is a 16bit file, as I did a test install to get the contents on a 64bit OS. Dependency Walker v2.2.6000 (x86) can also open the setup.exe without error. WscGuard.exe shows the expected WINDOWS32 data for File OS, but the dependencies are much different.

Can you do a walkthrough or post a picture of what exactly you are trying to open?

thanks for the info, all i wanted to know or be shown is the sort of the same way that other guy had done where he posted a picture of the dependencies in the window, so i can conclude on what i need to do to get those programs working on windows 95 / NT4. i feel that the way that guy did it or showed me is the most straightforward way in the first step to know what needs to be done. 

the part you mentioned on the common controls thing certainly helped as a starter, but like i just mentioned, i was looking for the window that gives the list of dependencies as shown in the other thread on fable lost chapters.

also, i checked "Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Common Controls" which i believe is the same thing you mentioned, and although it doesn't mention windows 95 in the "support" list, i was thinking it might still install on windows 95, as it has the w95inf16.dll and w95inf32.dll files in it, sort of the same way adobe reader 5.1 did not list windows 95 in the support list, yet will still install on windows 95, although i never tested it's actual functionality, i kept 5.05 to be safer. 

with the common controls thing, i am not sure if i was referring to the same exact thing you mentioned but it seems to be related or installs visual basic 6.0 related files, i was thinking in my head, well, windows 95 does support visual basic 6.0, but the comctl32 part seems to be the part that is uncertain. windows nt is actually listed under the support list for ""Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Common Controls", i do not know if i had this when i tried to install wsc guard 4.0 on windows NT 4.0, but that's a whole different story because i had other frustrating issues in NT4 having to do with permissions, like the program wouldn't finish installing and would complain about not having proper privileges or something like that which i never got a solution to. 

but here is another thing below from Microsoft that seems to be self explanatory on the functionality of common controls and what it may be:

This package is provided under the terms of the End User License Agreement and is intended for the following customers:

Customers who are Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 and/or Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0 licensees.

Customers who are not licensees of Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 nor Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0 but are using older versions of the two Common Controls.

Edited by cov3rt

The depends shown in that thread with the screenshot looks different than mine, so I would expect it to be an older version. Note that you will get errors with Depends on a modern OS due to the fact that it can't resolve some symbol or link files, and show weird, and you have to figure out what the actual file is that it represents. You will know these because they have hyphens in them. And sometimes it will show a dependency that it says is not present (it shows up in red) but is actually present. IEshims.dll seems to do this a lot, but the file is actually present.