Use old Windows 98 Machine as Fax Machine?

bz07

Our new insurance company requires alot of documents to be faxed between us, doctors, and them. I know it sounds ridiculous(and I agree) but it is what it is.  We do not own a fax machine nor really want to purchase one. However we do own 4 old computers that have modems but 3 out of 4 use a ISA interface and the 4th(Only one that doesn't work) uses a pci  modem. Our current PC does not have any ISa or PCI slots just PCI express. Eventually I plan on building a computer that will have a PCI slot but thats a different story. Would it be a doable Idea to use the best computer out of the 3(Pentium II 333mhz, 112b ram) as a fax machine using windows Fax and Scan? Would this actually work and be feasible(besides being slow as molasses)? It currently runs Windows 98 and Windows 2000. 

No problem with speed/power, but how would you actually scan "real" (paper" documents?

An entry level but good fax/printer/photocopier (B/W, laser, NOT one of those stupid inkjets that would cost a fortune on proprietary ink) is likely to be in the US$ 200-300 range, example:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/brother-mfc-l2740dw-wireless-black-and-white-all-in-one-laser-printer-black/8162187.p?skuId=8162187&ref=199&loc=zhehdLHc0f8&acampID=1&siteID=zhehdLHc0f8-sfLxRnYXElBe4FHA5887sg

If you have some old (usually SCSI) scanner a suitable printer to revive, then it's another thing, of course.

jaclaz

I think you can probably just buy a new old usb scanner off of EBAY like a HP scanjet is fine.  People used to use winfaxpro and that is both a server and client.  But I don't know if that is still a thing.

3 hours ago, jaclaz said:

No problem with speed/power, but how would you actually scan "real" (paper" documents?

An entry level but good fax/printer/photocopier (B/W, laser, NOT one of those stupid inkjets that would cost a fortune on proprietary ink) is likely to be in the US$ 200-300 range, example:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/brother-mfc-l2740dw-wireless-black-and-white-all-in-one-laser-printer-black/8162187.p?skuId=8162187&ref=199&loc=zhehdLHc0f8&acampID=1&siteID=zhehdLHc0f8-sfLxRnYXElBe4FHA5887sg

If you have some old (usually SCSI) scanner a suitable printer to revive, then it's another thing, of course.

jaclaz

Have an old HP scanner that is USB and SCSI. The Pc also has a SCSI controller I added. i just dont have the cable to connect the two. Only USB but i am conaidering a cable. Isnt there also an option to take pictures and use them instead of a scan document(i know its a thing in the win xp and 8.1 versions). We have a b/w laser print on our network I would set up. Im just to lazy to configure it in 98

51 minutes ago, Destro said:

I think you can probably just buy a new old usb scanner off of EBAY like a HP scanjet is fine.  People used to use winfaxpro and that is both a server and client.  But I don't know if that is still a thing.

Thanks. Yea that is a possibility but I already have an old HP Scanjet from a dumpster dive. I think you might be able to also use a picture file in the faxes not 100% sure.