Peer to peer with 9x?

technoid

How hard or easy would it be to configure a Win 7 (or 8 or 10) box into a peer to peer network so as to communicate with PC's that are Win 95 and/or 98(SE) that are also set up as P2P?  I have an old (mid 1990's) 32-bit networked database program I use in 9x and wondering if that program can be installed on Win 7 and then used via P2P between all these PC's.   I have not attempted anything yet as I don't want to mess anything up in Win 7.  Or forget the database program for now, I will also be ok if I can just get P2P between 7 and 9x.

Edited by technoid

Yes, I suppose workgroups. Yes, I assume it's the same as "ad hoc", but "peer to peer" (or P2P) seems like the older original naming for it.

The IP address (at least in IPv4) across all computers are set up as the same except for the last part: 1.2.3.x. The subnet should be the same for all.

Then in file explorer, you just map the drives so you can see a PC's drive contents (files/folders) from another PC, and so forth, as well as use the printers directly connected to another PC off another PC in the network.

I recall doing a P2P network on XP with 9X a few years ago, but there was like some other things that I've forgotten (something about a logon with password crap, etc) that had to be done to get it to work, so that's why I'm asking if anyone's knows that there might be similar issues/hindrances with 7.

Some people have said they have had problems with it in the past. But I had no problems with it myself. I would usually use a router to handle the DHCP, instead of using static IPs for everything.

Here is a topic about this between Win98 and Win7.

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/154025-connecting-a-windows-98-and-windows-7-through-a-network/