Disk Cleanup + SSD = unbootable

andwan0

I used to use Microsoft Disk Cleanup YEARS ago and it works no problem on a HDD Windows 7.
Now I just ran Disk Cleanup (with default settings - which is to clear temp folder, clear recovery/rescue files, update files, etc. etc).... on my SSD C:\Windows 7 - I do still have the old Windows 7 on the D:\ HDD (which was cloned to C:\ using the Samsung 840EVO SSD clone tool CD.

After reboot - Windows fails to start. It forever keeps on System Repair - reboot - System Repair - reboot - forever. It says lots of files are corrupted.
I tried to do a recovery - but it says my recovery files have been deleted. I tried installing Windows 7 ontop of my existing Windows installation (Upgrade option) but it won't let me - saying Windows was previously installed via Windows itself...

Someone please help!

PS: I can't clone my HDD again since it's been so so so long. I just want to recover my SSD drive.

PSS: actually, I think I deleted the Windows folder from the old HDD already - so no way booting up there.

Microsoft Disk Cleanup options:
Downloaded Program Files
Temporary Internet Files
Game Statistics Files
Recycle Bin
Service Pack Backup Files
System error memory dump files
Temporary files
Thumbnails
Per user queued Windows Error Reporting
System queued Windows Error Reporting

---- so how can this corrupted my Windows on SSD?

Edited by andwan0

Normally it can't. Something must have gone bad with the file system, if I were you I would just format the SSD and reinstall Windows. Sorry if it looks harsh but I'm afraid that trying to do anything else will just be lost time.

Yes, I have to agree with HarryTri on this....

If I add upp all the wasted hours trying to fix things that have gone pear-shaped.....help!

I willl add after years of experience with cloning software....I tend to rely on Clonezilla Server Edition to clone my computers and customers.... that said, for whatever reason that fails, I use the live Clonezilla dvd....

While I wont say anything bad about Samsung...fantastic SSD drives!....I will say that when I tried the cloning software a couple of times it let me down...can't really remember now....sorry..getting old you know...;)

Some times I use Macrium Reflect free edition and you have a couple of options with that cloning software...sometimes the  "clone drive "doesn't work because of some dodgy file somewhere....harddrive not good....BUT you can also create a "backup image" which has never let me down....

What I really like is the choice of partitions to clone or back up....

All you need is an extra drive USB large enough for the backup....While installing and starting the newly installed Macrium Reflect it asks you if you want to create a "RepairBoot" disk. I always do this because you can boot from this user interface and then reinstate your image to the drive of your choice...

If you have a situation where the drive you are going to clone to is smaller than the original....there are several ways to go about this....cleaning up Windows first and defragging it..then I tend to shrink the drive to a size compatable with the new one...To do this I never rely on Windows...I use Gparted livecd for 64bit or 32bit systems.

One thing that can cause problems is after removing service pack updates etc ...don't forget to restart the computer to finish off the process....I know you probably know this....easily forgotten when working on a cloning project....

Microsoft will question the shrinking afterwards by doing a chkdsk on startup but that is just Microsoft being Microsoft....

Cloning after this usually works....with one of the above meathods....

But never remove the Windows sytem files until you are certain everything works....:angel

Hope I haven't rubbed too much salt into your wounds....

bookie32

Edited by bookie32
Extra Info

All I can do is say I'm sorry to hear your trouble, personally I've never had a problem with Microsoft disk cleanup, in fact I install the desktop experience on servers just to get it, and be able to remove all the old guff Windows Update leaves behind.

You could try with the drive you cloned *from* disconnected, that being there *may* be confusing the repair or in-place upgrade options, though I don't hold out much hope, reinstall is probably your *best* choice at this point. 

On Τρίτη, 5 Σεπτεμβρίου 2017 at 9:25 AM, bookie32 said:

Some times I use Macrium Reflect free edition and you have a couple of options with that cloning software...sometimes the  "clone drive "doesn't work because of some dodgy file somewhere....harddrive not good....BUT you can also create a "backup image" which has never let me down....

I use Macrium Reflect Free for creating backup images too and it never let me down also. It has the verification option so that you can be sure that you have a precise disc image.:cool: