Home Networking w/ No Internet

Hello there...I have 2 puters running XP Pro, a Linksys BEFSR41 4-Port Router, and Dial Up!

The good thing is that I'm not trying to "Share" a dial up connection...that would be "Just Stupid"...and SLOW! LOL!

But...what I'm wondering is if this will give me a LAN that will allow me to connect the puters together, and do file sharing?

I know this is probably a stupid question...but I have to ask....How do I do it?

I have my Linksys setup disk....but is that all it is. See, I have only used this setup to share a "Broadband" connection...and didn't do any file sharing becasue it was my work laptop, and I couldn't change the domain of the puter.

Lemme know...

Thanks,

PinHead :)

so are both computers hooked up with the router?

if so and if they're under the same domain (why do u need a domain?, have a workgroup) they should be able to see each other.

did u set up the router so that both connects to the internet?

that might be neccessary cause the router is supposed to give an ip to the computers, though there might be a work around.

and why not just share the internet. I mean if the other comp is not going to use it, it shouldn't be a problem (won't slow the other computers' internet)

right click on my comp go to properties

go to computer name

press change

type the workgroup name to change the workgroup...(or domain)

1. Both machines in the same workgroup.

2. Either set the puters to run DHCP or static.

3. Make sure the router is configured for either DHCP or static, based on what your puter will be on.

The users manual should have what you need to get started with.

OK...remember I have a dialup connection, and it wouldn't go through the router anyways...so sharing a internet connection is out. So, I haven't even set this router up yet. As I said before, I have had it setup before but that's not important.

I just want to network 2 computers together via the router to share files back, and forth. I'm just not sure exactly how to do it since I will not be connecting to the internet. If that matters at all....and sorry for the slow reply....it didn't email me to tell me that I raplys to my post.

Thanks for the help I'm going to check out those tutourials now. Will check back in a while.

The XP Help section has walk-thrus for connecting the two PCs with a router.

Start > Help and Support > Networking and the Web. Search Network. As long as everything is connected properly and you do not have any strange software running in the background it is a 15 minute or less setup.

This from the XP Networking Guide:

Networking

Managing a myriad of network and Internet connections can be confusing. Empower yourself with knowledge about managing network and Internet connections for local and remote users. If you have a network problem, diagnose and fix it with network, Internet, and hardware troubleshooters.

There is a dial-up guide suited just for your purpose.

Hope this helps :)

I read this:

Choose Your Connection Method

You first need to determine the type of connection method to use for your network.  During the past year or so, new options have appeared, so let's summarize your choices:

Ethernet

Phone-line

Wireless

Power Line

Direct Cable Connection (only for two computers)

I think to simplify things I'd rather do the direct Connection...this isn't permanent, and I'm not concerned with security because I run both computers. But it didn't say how to do this at the site.

Any help is appreciated!

Did you use the XP Help and Support because it explains it all.

Basicly, you just need two LAN cards (one for each PC) and the cable. Its better to read the XP Help guides first, so you get all the details before you do anything. I use cheap kits from PC stores that include the two cards (with drivers) and cable. Real easy.

I said forget it because I just wanted to tranfer 20 Gigs of data so that I can reformate my puter. I bought a Sony DRU-530A DVD Burner instead! LOL!

I got a great deal too...Thanks for the help!