Steam on Windows 2000

gencreeper

Has anyone else managed to get steam working under Windows 2000 and if so does anyone know specifically what makes it work? I have gotten steam working on two different installs but it appears to be very hit and miss whether it will work or not. Most of the time it will download install and once installed if you try to run it it will display "verifying installation" and then close no error message just close

i install Windows 2000 as follows:

1. Install 2ksp4 from CD

2. Install all drivers

3. Install unofficial service pack 5 (note: I skip update rollup 1 because I have a dual core processor and update rollup 1 seems to break it only being able to see 1 core)

4. Install IE6 sp1 roots update and Windows update agent

5. Install all remaining updates from Windows update including directx and media player 9

6. Install the ie6 cumulative security update that BWCs extended kernel requires and then install extended kernel and extended core in that order 

Note: I don't really need steam on this computer for any practical purpose but due to the seemingly random nature of steam not working I'm just curious as to what exactly will make it work every time. this was done on physical hardware and always on the same machine (it's just a spare laptop not a main computer)

Edited by gencreeper

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/12/2017 at 8:27 PM, gencreeper said:

3. Install unofficial service pack 5 (note: I skip update rollup 1 because I have a dual core processor and update rollup 1 seems to break it only being able to see 1 core)

Just for the record, technically you are not skipping the Update Rollup 1 because the rollup is already integrated in the USP 5. Update Rollup 1 basically provides a baseline for all the updates released later. It should not cause any such issues in normal circumstances.

• 4 weeks later...

Have a Pentium4 desktop running win2k with updates and blackwingcats extended kernel.
Ran Steam fine earlier this year, but now it stops with no error message.

Got a PentiumM laptop and installed Win2k today with all updates and the most recent kernel from bwc, now I get an error while trying to install steam:
"SteamSetup.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program."

Anyeone got steam working on Win2k lately?

• 6 months later...
On 12/6/2017 at 7:45 PM, bottis86 said:

Have a Pentium4 desktop running win2k with updates and blackwingcats extended kernel.
Ran Steam fine earlier this year, but now it stops with no error message.

Got a PentiumM laptop and installed Win2k today with all updates and the most recent kernel from bwc, now I get an error while trying to install steam:
"SteamSetup.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program."

Anyeone got steam working on Win2k lately?

have you resolved? I can't connect to it too

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2018 at 10:43 AM, Andreasmir said:

Still can't get it work. Tryed older versions of Steam (from 2014-2016-2017), same thing, steam.exe starts, then closes in 1-2 seconds.

Maybe something with new version of BWC Kernel?

I don't know, maybe it is too new...

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/9/2018 at 9:58 PM, Andreasmir said:

But it is based on Chrome 49. With BWC Kernel it should work. And it was working fine back in 2016.

I will try to do a clean install and see if it works.

On 7/11/2018 at 12:30 PM, slayer1994 said:

I will try to do a clean install and see if it works.

Clean Win2k didn't support Steam since 2011. Steam was working fine in 2016 with Extended Kernel only.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...