Chkdsk running often on startup

bookie32

Hi guys!

I will try and explain this so everyone understands....;)

I recently upgraded a drive in my works computer from 320 GB to a 1 TB to have more space....this is the setup at the moment

I have a 120 GB SSD drive for my C: 

1 TB drive to E: Users J:Photos

1 TB G: Mixed

500 GB H: Backup K: Company I: Music

I moved my files around when adding the 1 TB which is now G: Mixed but E:Users has been constant on the same drive even though "Mixed" and "Photos" swapped places...

Not long after upgrading the computer with the 1 TB instead of 320 GB drive I started getting chkdsk on start up for either E: or J: partitions....this has happened several times over the last couple of weeks...

I put the drive on test and no problems detected not even a damaged sector...?

Today my partner started the computer to do bookkeeping and the E: Users was not available at all but J: Photos was?

I restarted the computer and it ran chkdsk on E: again but no problems were found...I have even run an extensive test on the drive...no problems found....

I know everything points to a bad drive but why and how when no faults are found...

Has anyone any ideas....

bookie32

Hi guys!:D

Little update here:

I backed up all files on the two partitions on the hard drive causing problems and then removed both partitions and started from scratch...

I created both partitions as before and have it with just basic files linked to those partitions at the moment....

Just before I started this while backing up files the drive just dropped out.....I restarted the computer and continued with the backup of all files....

Since removing, recreating and formatting the drive no problems on startup at the moment...

I will keep an open mind about whether this is OK for the next few days...

I Shall update this thread in a couple of days or if I get problems again....

bookie32

SATA - loose or not connecting well or near *any* powered wires. I have a perfectly good 320gb that got read errors only - SMART decided it was bad (it isn't) and have to use it in a PC that I can turn that off in BIOS. Be sure to use the "clip" kind of cable so it doesn't jar loose (if you haven't already). Just a thought...

13 hours ago, submix8c said:

SATA - loose or not connecting well or near *any* powered wires. I have a perfectly good 320gb that got read errors only - SMART decided it was bad (it isn't) and have to use it in a PC that I can turn that off in BIOS. Be sure to use the "clip" kind of cable so it doesn't jar loose (if you haven't already). Just a thought...

Yeah...thanks for that....I checked connections first before taking the step of backing up the drive and reformatting it etc....it struck me as being a loose connection....but didn't turn out to be that....just checking connections didn't help but no more problems since reformatting it....?!!!

I have registered the drive at my supplier in case of more problems....

Thanks for coming by...;)

bookie32