Need help to install 98se on modern Intel motherboard

Dibya

2000 works okay, is very 98SE-like and it'll run Firefox ESR 45 pretty well, provided you install BWC's extended core and kernel (bookmarking/downloads don't seem to work, though; The Plain Old Favorites and Downloads Window plugins can workaround those problems for now). I'm using it now, in fact, and you can even install Flash, so it's all current (for now, anyway).

But yeah, for a relatively trouble free experience, Windows 7 (or, dare I say, Windows 8.1 with all the metro gunk stripped out) is probably the best way to go.

7 should work okay on the hardware you got, but unless you decide to get newer stuff, I wouldn't recommend 8.1 (I don't think it'd even run on it, as it requires, what, SSE3?)

c

Edited by cc333

I wouldn't recommend anything later than Windows Vista for anyone or for anything personally, but that's just my opinion. :angel
(And I don't even really like Vista, but at least they tried to make it pretty...)

Much as all of us here hate it, it has become almost impossible to use Windows 9x online these days. Over the past couple of years it's becoming more annoying to do so even under XP. One can still use 9x for many computing tasks but browsing online is not one of them and is not an enjoyable experience.

In my experience, XP (and highly upgraded 2000 with BWC's Extended Core) work fine online.

This is subject to change, however, as browser support gradually disappears (as it did with 9x from 2006 to 2013-ish). On the bright side, though, XP will still have ESR 52, which gives us at least two more years before things start going downhill.

Vista is a sort of oddball, as it's somewhat 7-like, yet it's being treated like XP, so it will have the same problem in 2018.

c

I think XP will be fine for my granny .
Seriously she hates anything higher XP . She says it is nightmare for me to use vista up oses.

NT 4.0 with Firefox 2 became impossible browse anything so my granny said to made a pc.