Samsung 950 PRO Series - 256GB PCIe NVMe has gone MIA

My Samsung Samsung 950 PRO Series - 256GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V5P256BW) drive shows up in "Device Manager" but it doesn't show up in Windows' "Device and Printer" folder, at least on my ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Professional Gaming i7 motherboard. My secondary Sandisk 1TB SSD drive also doesn't show up there any more either after I installed the Samsung. I wonder if any other users are having this issue and how they fixed it. 

Are you sure:

1) that internal hard disk like devices should show up in "Device and Printer"? :w00t:

2) that before you installed the SSD the 1 TB SSD actually showed there? :dubbio:

Last time I checked "Devices and Printers" listed ONLY external devices, if #2 is accurate it would seem to me like that was an issue, not what you describe now, which appears to me as "correct" or at least "normal".

jaclaz

Yes, internal hard drives and removable drives showed up there previously. I should know, I spent a lot of time customizing the Device and Printer icons on my previous motherboard . But if you are not seeing them on your rig, maybe newer Intel chipsets don't support the feature. EDIT: I was also thinking it might have something to do with the drive removal policy under Device Manager. But the "quick removal" radio button on both my SSDs are unchecked. EDIT2: OK, looks like it might be that Microsoft glitch you point out in your link. Thanks.

Edited by BYTE-ME
Show picture of previous Device & Printer Folder

I will try to re-word my previous post, AFAIK the "Device and printers" is DESIGNED to NOT show any internal hard disk like device, so it would be interesting to know how exactly you had managed to make it/them show before.

There is (was?) a known issue/bug on some motherboards/installs where an internal SATA device was seen as ESATA and thus did appear as external and was listed  in "devices and printers", maybe that is what happened before to the 1 TB SSD, this Registry key "TreatAsInternalPort" may be the culprit, see:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/my-internal-sata-device-appears-in-devices-and/722221d6-d59c-4cf7-803c-8203e6344b93

but that won't apply I believe to a PCIe SSD.

jaclaz