Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 


Sign in to follow this  
kali

Run C/C++ script with bat

Recommended Posts

On 5/25/2016 at 4:32 PM, jaclaz said:

Hmmm, the batch you posted seemingly mixes liberally HH , MM, SS and hs, you will have a number of incorrect results in many cases.

And - if I get this right now - what you want is that the thingy shows time elapsed since start of the program updating it in "real time", i.e. something more like a "progress bar".

jaclaz


 

You are right. My batch can show incorrect results in many cases. If you fix my time subtraction batch into HH:MM:SS:hs Format It will be also very useful to me.

An exactly you said. My want is time elapsed. 

Finally I tested your batch with wait.exe. It shows a continuous Elapsed process. I'm learner of batch. So I didn't understand the batch you posted. 

Thanks. 

TimeElapes.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep :), but you also failed to read the given link or the comment about the need of 0x08 hex characters (backspaces) in the batch (they cannot be posted), everyone has been (before or later) a newbie at batch scripting (or at something else), but in order to learn one needs to try and solve problems.

What would you learn if I fix your time subtraction batch?

Maybe you would learn more if you read and understand my time subtraction batch. (it is written in a very "linear" fashion and should be very easy to follow)

Anyway the posted snippet has at least one more issue, using TASKLIST to monitor the running program *somehow* makes the line flash AND there is anyway an (intentional) typo in the  (just to see if readers are paying attention :whistle:)  in the :to_hs subroutine.

And in the meantime I found a clever way to create the 0x08's "on the fly", so here is an updated little batch.

Still you will need to find the typo in the math subroutine.

So here it is:

Spoiler

@ECHO OFF
SETLOCAL ENABLEEXTENSIONS ENABLEDELAYEDEXPANSION
::This fills the BS and BS10 variable with 1 and 10 BackSpaces 0x08 chars
FOR /F "tokens=1 delims=# " %%a IN ('"prompt #$H&echo on&for %%b in (1) do rem"') DO (
SET "BS=%%a"
SET "BS10=%%a%%a%%a%%a%%a%%a%%a%%a%%a%%a"
)

SET Before=%Time%
CALL :to_hs Before

ECHO Time is now %Time%
ECHO Starting program ...
start /min cmd.exe /c wait.exe 10>nul

:loop
SET Now=%Time%
CALL :to_hs Now
SET /A DeltahsVal=%NOWhsval%-%BEFOREhsVal%
CALL :to_HHMMShs Delta

::There are 11 0x08 characters in the line below between = and Elapsed
<nul (set /p output=%BS10%%BS%Elapsed %Delta%)

::This updates the display roughly every second 
ping -n 1 127.0.0.1>nul

TASKLIST |FIND /I "wait.exe">nul&&GOTO :loop
ECHO Time is now %Time%
ECHO Finished in %Delta%
GOTO :EOF

:to_hs
SET %1HH=1!%1:~0,2!
SET %1MM=1!%1:~3,2!
SET %1SS=1!%1:~6,2!
SET %1hs=1!%1:~9,2!
SET /A %1hsVal=(!%1HH!-100)*360000+(!%1MM!-100)*6000+(!%1SS!-100)*100+(!%1SS!-100)

GOTO :EOF

:to_HHMMShs
SET /A %1HH=!%1hsVal!/360000
SET /A %1MM=(!%1hsVal!-!%1HH!*360000)/6000
SET /A %1SS=(!%1hsVal!-!%1HH!*360000-!%1MM!*6000)/100
SET %1hs=0!%1hsVal:~-2!

SET %1HH=0!%1HH!
SET %1MM=0!%1MM!
SET %1SS=0!%1SS!

SET %1=!%1HH:~-2!.!%1MM:~-2!.!%1SS:~-2!,!%1hs:~-2!


 


 

I have a couple "better" batches, but I will post them only once you will have had time to test the above and fix the small mis-calculation.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2016 at 9:08 PM, jaclaz said:

Yep :), but you also failed to read the given link or the comment about the need of 0x08 hex characters (backspaces) in the batch (they cannot be posted), everyone has been (before or later) a newbie at batch scripting (or at something else), but in order to learn one needs to try and solve problems.

What would you learn if I fix your time subtraction batch?

Maybe you would learn more if you read and understand my time subtraction batch. (it is written in a very "linear" fashion and should be very easy to follow)

Anyway the posted snippet has at least one more issue, using TASKLIST to monitor the running program *somehow* makes the line flash AND there is anyway an (intentional) typo in the  (just to see if readers are paying attention :whistle:)  in the :to_hs subroutine.

And in the meantime I found a clever way to create the 0x08's "on the fly", so here is an updated little batch.

Still you will need to find the typo in the math subroutine.

jaclaz

Sorry for late.

I read the stackoverflow link you given above. It was about like progressbar. Last two days I explored many sites and learned many things. I'm very interested to learn batch scripting. I read and practice also. But some time I can't understand complicated script as newbie.  For example in your script "prompt #$H&echo on&for %%b in (1) do rem" for 0x08 hex characters (you mentioned), to_hs as well as to_HHMMShs section. You set DeltahsVal variable but I couldn't find it's usage in the script.

Shamed to asked foolishly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First is an (ab)use of the PROMPT command (this is "rare" or "advanced"), see:

http://ss64.com/nt/prompt.html
http://superuser.com/questions/82929/how-to-overwrite-the-same-line-in-command-output-from-batch-file

Second is due to expansion of parameter %1 (first parameter) in the CALLed subroutine (this is instead pretty much "common" or "simple").

When the batch CALLs the :to_HHMMShs subroutine as:

CALL :to_HHMMShs Delta

The "Delta" becomes %1 (and viceversa) so what will be executed will be:

SET /A DeltaHH=!DeltahsVal!/360000
SET /A DeltaMM=(!DeltahsVal!-!DeltaHH!*360000)/6000
SET /A DeltaSS=(!DeltahsVal!-!DeltaHH!*360000-!DeltaMM!*6000)/100
SET Deltahs=0!DeltahsVal:~-2!

SET DeltaHH=0!DeltaHH!
SET DeltaMM=0!DeltaMM!
SET DeltaSS=0!DeltaSS!

SET Delta=!DeltaHH:~-2!.!DeltaMM:~-2!.!DeltaSS:~-2!,!Deltahs:~-2!


 

jaclaz


 


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, jaclaz said:

First is an (ab)use of the PROMPT command (this is "rare" or "advanced"), see:

http://ss64.com/nt/prompt.html
http://superuser.com/questions/82929/how-to-overwrite-the-same-line-in-command-output-from-batch-file

Second is due to expansion of parameter %1 (first parameter) in the CALLed subroutine (this is instead pretty much "common" or "simple").

When the batch CALLs the :to_HHMMShs subroutine as:

CALL :to_HHMMShs Delta

The "Delta" becomes %1 (and viceversa) so what will be executed will be:

jaclaz

Thanks jaclaz. Very useful link. In the mean time I wrote a script. Your clues and links helped me to write this script. I got digital clock instead of Stop watch here. Hope your advice.

Spoiler

@echo off
setlocal delayexpansion
mode con cols=70 lines=15
title Setup Office 2010
pushd %~dp0
start "" wordpad.exe & goto time
:time
cls
echo.
echo.
echo. Please Wait...           
echo. Installing MS Office 2010. It might be finished at %time%
TASKLIST |FIND /I "wordpad.exe" > nul
IF %ERRORLEVEL% EQU 1 goto exit
ping -n 2 0.0.0.0 >nul
cls
goto :time

:exit
cls
mode con cols=30 lines=10
echo.
echo.
echo.
echo.
echo. Installation Completed. 
ping -n 5 0.0.0.0 >nul
exit /b

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep :), but you used the (common) CLS and re-drawing whole screen, and you are actually giving the user a totally false :w00t: "estimation" of the time left, you are actually continuously showing the current time, if the "real" program actually takes 5 minutes to execute and terminate, you will have the user receive roughly 5*60/2=150 false informations :ph34r:

It would IMHO be more logical to time once the actual time it takes on an "average" machine, add to it (say) a 20% increase, so that the user will have something like:
Time is now 11.47.16
Starting program ... 
Expected time 360 seconds
Executed in     305  seconds. <-line that continuously updates "Elapsed time"
Time is now 11.50.21

And will have additionally the "good feeling" that his/her machine is faster than expected ;) (still false, BTW).

Find attached a couple "almost finished" batches showing the "time elapsed".

First one uses a time format, the second uses "plain" seconds (and is thus simplified).

The posted ones use WMIC instead of TASKLIST as this (strangely) avoids the flashing (or viceversa strangely TASKLIST induces the flashing of the line).

jaclaz


 

time_exe.zip

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To time a DOS app:

echo.|time
app.exe
echo.|time


If the app will clear the screen/console, redirect the time to a file:

echo.|time>start.txt
app.exe
more start.txt
echo.|time


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/30/2016 at 3:56 PM, jaclaz said:

jaclaz

time_exe.zip

Very nice script, Just awesome. It's (time_exe) working like that what I wanted. Thanks a lot jaclaz. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, kali said:

Very nice script, Just awesome. It's (time_exe) working like that what I wanted. Thanks a lot jaclaz.

You are welcome :), though you will notice that the processor will get roughly 50% usage just by running the batch :(.

jaclaz
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, jaclaz said:

You are welcome :), though you will notice that the processor will get roughly 50% usage just by running the batch :(.

jaclaz
 

processor will get roughly 50% usage- I'll analysis this.

I'm a hardware troubleshooter. To save time I use 90% of my software silent install. Just I wanted to add something new in my silent script like this. It's awesome. Thanks again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...