How to install Windows 98SE or ME on Dell Latitude D600

FantasyAcquiesce

2 hours ago, submix8c said:

Again, I don't get it. All you need are the listed files and the modifications to AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS. I've done this many times. It's the same principle as DOS and Windows 95 (which used DOS drivers). You do *not* have to install the way that website stated. That's just dumb!

And according to this, there's Intel Chipset drivers that should work (no hacking?).

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/disk-drives/f/3534/t/3698745

:unsure:

DVD Drive or CD Drive (you've stated both)? Which Chipset Drivers are you using?

The main issue at the time was I had no way of transferring files into the Laptop. Windows 98SE had made the laptop unable to recognize its own CD drive and USB ports. Everything is almost done, I just need to find a working wireless cardbus or usb adapter which supports Windows 9x

On 4/7/2016 at 7:44 PM, cov3rt said:

i too worked with the dell latitude d600 on 98SE, i got all drivers to work, except for the pci cardbus bridge "PCI\VEN_1217&DEV_7112" or 7113 and cardbus controller "O2Micro-SmartCardBus_Reader-2E10", i tried like the oldest drivers for both, 2-26-02 or somewhere around there for the cardbus bridge and the other one was 10/06/2000,1.03.00.00, but i may have not properly installed the drivers, at least for the cardbus controller portion, i believe that for the "O2Micro-SmartCardBus_Reader-2E10" portion, you have to first install scbase.exe, then smclib.exe, then other steps to get it working. for the cardbus bridge, probably have to run o2update.exe to get it work, but i don't know for sure on the process, maybe the drivers arent compatible. here is some information i got below from the "O2Micro-SmartCardBus_Reader-2E10" scrreadme portion, although it is meant for the O2Micro SmartCardBus Reader (OZ711E1) reader -

O2Micro SmartCardBus Reader (OZ711E1)

Installation Readme.txt

Win2000 Installation ( V 1,0,0,0 )
----------------------
 - Insert the Reader and follow Plug/Play Procedure on the screen.

Win98/Win98SE Installation ( V 1,0 ,0 ,1 )
----------------------

NOte: Since SmartCard is not a standard component of Win98/Win98SE.
      please follow the procedure below befor installation.
      By the way, the OZ711E1 is not included in the PCMCIA.INF
      of Win98/Win98SE, so we need to execute the " O2setup.exe "
      in " O2 Cardbus " directory.

- Run SCBASE.EXE FIRST, AND THEN SMCLIB.EXE on scbase directory.
 - Insert the Reader and follow Plug/Play Procedure on the screen.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALSO from the "readme"-

Installing SmartCard driver procedure on Microsoft Windows 9x :
   -----------------------------------------------------------------
Note:   The Smart Card driver is only for Notebook PC models with support for Smart Cards.
      If your Notebook PC does not support Smart Cards, do not install the Smart Card driver.

1. Run CDROM Driver:\SmartCard\Path\Win9XME\SCBASE.EXE

2. Run CDROM Driver:\SmartCard\Path\Win9XME\SMCLIB.EXE

3. Insert Smartcard after install above program.

4  Double-click the System icon in the Control Panel.

5. Click on "Device Manager" tab in System Properties.

6. Double-click on "O2Micro-SmartCardBus Reader"

7. Click on "Driver" tab, and click on "Update Driver" icon.

8. Click on "Next" twice.

9. Select "Specify a location:" only and click on "Browse..."

10. Please Select the Driver location. (example CDROM Drive:\SmartCard\711Driver\WIN98SE)

11. Click on "OK" button and click "Next" twice to start driver install.

12. Click on "Finish" and Reboot system to finish driver installation.

Do I use the official driver or the one mentioned here?

• 6 months later...

Hi all.  Don't know if anyone is watching this thread, but I'd like to ask for some advice.  I'm also trying to install Win98SE on a Dell D600, and I keep hitting the same roadblock.  I can get the setup running, and it goes nearly to completion, but it stops at exactly the same point for Win98, Win98SE, and ME.  When it hits the part of the setup wizard where it says "Programs on the Start Menu", it does a hard stop and becomes completely unresponsive. 

To keep it simple, I'm using the factory 80Gb hdd with a single 2Gb primary FAT16 partition.  My install routine for 98/98SE is to boot with a Win98SE floppy and FDISK and FORMAT C: /S, then I boot from a USB stick and copy all of the source files to c:\win98\, reboot to the C: drive, and then run SETUP.EXE, and I've tried nearly every SETUP.EXE switch I can find to see if that helps.

My install routine with ME is slightly different: boot from a Win98SE floppy, FDISK and FORMAT C: (no /s), boot from USB, copy source files to C:\WINME\, reboot with a WIN98SE floppy, and then run C:\WINME\SETUP.EXE.

All of the above is because I don't have the CD drive for the D600, and I don't have an older parallel port or PCMCIA external CD drive any more... and I can't make any of my USB CD/DVD drives work with any of the special boot floppies around.

TIA

Yappi

How much RAM do you have? Without rloew's RAM patch, Windows 9x/ME won't run properly with more than 512 MB installed.

Also try booting into safe mode and see what happens. I'm attempting to install 98SE on my D630, and I found that it reliably boots to safe mode, but I cannot get it working in normal mode very often, if at all, despite applying the RAM patch, reducing RAM to 256 MB (more than enough for what I'm doing), and changing all sorts of BIOS settings.

Hopefully I'll have better luck on my D620....

c

9 hours ago, cc333 said:

How much RAM do you have? Without rloew's RAM patch, Windows 9x/ME won't run properly with more than 512 MB installed.

Also try booting into safe mode and see what happens. I'm attempting to install 98SE on my D630, and I found that it reliably boots to safe mode, but I cannot get it working in normal mode very often, if at all, despite applying the RAM patch, reducing RAM to 256 MB (more than enough for what I'm doing), and changing all sorts of BIOS settings.

Hopefully I'll have better luck on my D620....

c

I started off with 1Gb, took one out to make 512Mb, and now I"m using a single 256Mb stick I found in my drawer.  Might be able to find a 64Mb stick around somewhere, but I don't think it'll make a difference.  Safe mode does actually work.

Alright, I came at it sideways and it worked.  I installed Windows 95 OSR2.5, and it goes right in, if I have 256Mb RAM.  From there I ran the Win98SE setup, and it worked.  It froze up twice during the install, but after the last time, it came up.  It still freezes up when it boots up and finds the "Plug and Play monitor" and I let it search for drivers, but if I cancel it, it's good.

I started to draft up a reply, but it turned into a summary.  Windows 98SE is working just fine with 1Gb of memory right now.  As I mentioned earlier, I side-loaded Windows 98SE from a Windows 95 OSR2.5 installation, and it went with no issues.  I was able to get these drivers/packages installed:

DirectX9.0

Video driver (rad_w9x_omega_2637.exe)

Unofficial SP3 (U98SESP3.EXE)

Intel i855PM Chipset (infinst_enu.zip)

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/8178/INF-Update-Utility-Primarily-for-Intel-800-Series-Chipsets?product=24603

USB (NUSB33e.exe) -- still won't recognize some of my USB drives I hot plug

Audio, using the SigmaTel drivers from first page in this thread

Onboard Wifi, using the modded Broadcom drivers from the first page in the thread.

I finally found a DVD-ROM drive to swap into the floppy bay of the laptop, but I'm using real-mode CD drivers, since Windows doesn't recognize it natively.

Still left unidentified in Device Manager:

Onboard Ethernet, SmartBus Card Reader, and PCI Card (modem maybe?)

The "Intel 82801DBM Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 24CA" driver has an exclamation mark on it, but it works.

For network, I'm using an old PCMCIA Linksys PCM200 Ethernet adapter that I had to hunt a while to find drivers for (no thanks to the official Linksys site).

Edited by stupendousyappi
add link to Intel drivers

Your Storage Controller is NOT working.
Windows bypassed it and is running in Compatibility mode.
This makes your system significantly slower.
It also explains why your DVD Drive is not being detected.

If you can resolve the problem, you will have a faster system and won't need the Real Mode Drivers for your DVD Drive.

14 hours ago, stupendousyappi said:

I started to draft up a reply, but it turned into a summary.  Windows 98SE is working just fine with 1Gb of memory right now.  As I mentioned earlier, I side-loaded Windows 98SE from a Windows 95 OSR2.5 installation, and it went with no issues.  I was able to get these drivers/packages installed:

DirectX9.0

Video driver (rad_w9x_omega_2637.exe)

Unofficial SP3 (U98SESP3.EXE)

Intel i855PM Chipset (infinst_enu.zip)

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/8178/INF-Update-Utility-Primarily-for-Intel-800-Series-Chipsets?product=24603

USB (NUSB33e.exe) -- still won't recognize some of my USB drives I hot plug

Audio, using the SigmaTel drivers from first page in this thread

Onboard Wifi, using the modded Broadcom drivers from the first page in the thread.

I finally found a DVD-ROM drive to swap into the floppy bay of the laptop, but I'm using real-mode CD drivers, since Windows doesn't recognize it natively.

Still left unidentified in Device Manager:

Onboard Ethernet, SmartBus Card Reader, and PCI Card (modem maybe?)

The "Intel 82801DBM Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 24CA" driver has an exclamation mark on it, but it works.

For network, I'm using an old PCMCIA Linksys PCM200 Ethernet adapter that I had to hunt a while to find drivers for (no thanks to the official Linksys site).

To fix the CD or DVD Drive, go to system, resources, uncheck the default configuration, then click the very bottom option of the resources, go down one so it doesn't conflict, then the cd or dvd drive should work and be recognized by Windows after installing software for the Storage Controller (However, it still has an explanation mark afterwards)

Using the information in this thread, http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/5171265

I was able to get the yellow Exclamation mark off of the IDE controller, and the CD drive is recognized natively.

After much experimenting, loading the Intel 855pm chipset drivers, running the Microsoft update 245682US8.exe which is supposed to fix secondary IDE channel problem, I had no success in recognising the CD-ROM. However, I found a simple solution.
In Control Panel, System Properties, Intel(R) 82801DBM Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 24CA: change from default to both channels enabled.
In Control Panel, System Properties, Intel(R) 82801DBM Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 24CA: Resources: select the bottom Input/Output Range (below IRQ15) and change setting - I scrolled up a few ranges until I found a range that had no conflicts.
This did the trick - after restarting Windows both IDE channels were found and installed, and on the next restart the CD-ROM drive was magially there.

Note: Original range setting was BFA0-BFAF. I changed to 00E0-00EF. Windows advises that this could cause future conflicts if more PnP devices are added.

Griz

For the Broadcom onboard Ethernet, this link worked for me:

http://support.advantech.com/support/DownloadSRDetail_New.aspx?SR_ID=1-13YAFU&Doc_Source=Download

I got the cardbus reader to work from this link http://support.ts.fujitsu.com/IndexDownload.asp?lng=&SoftwareGUID=58EE319E-F4E9-495E-A224-8148E4E84361

The setup.exe routine is sensitive; if you expand the zip files on a Win2k/xp/etc machine, it expands with such a long directory name that the file copy fails.  I copied the install files into c:\card\ and ran setup.exe, and it went right in.  The only thing left now is the "PCI Card", which as far as the Conexant Listmdm.exe app can tell, is a Conexant HSF modem from Actiontec, but I can't find the driver just yet.

21 hours ago, stupendousyappi said:

I got the cardbus reader to work from this link http://support.ts.fujitsu.com/IndexDownload.asp?lng=&SoftwareGUID=58EE319E-F4E9-495E-A224-8148E4E84361

The setup.exe routine is sensitive; if you expand the zip files on a Win2k/xp/etc machine, it expands with such a long directory name that the file copy fails.  I copied the install files into c:\card\ and ran setup.exe, and it went right in.  The only thing left now is the "PCI Card", which as far as the Conexant Listmdm.exe app can tell, is a Conexant HSF modem from Actiontec, but I can't find the driver just yet.

Thank you for the information! Added these links to the description!

Does anyone have a VM to test this on? http://drivers.brothersoft.com/modem/conexant/
If this downloader is legitimate, this maybe the driver for the modem! It says it supports ME! I'm unsure how many different API's ME has from 98 (Heck, someone mentioned only some 98 drivers work on me, but it didn't seem that way in my experience) or if that has anything to do with compatibility issues.

Edited by ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

I decided to put my findings to the test, so I blew it all away and started again.  Here is how I got it installed on my D600.

Put 256Mb or less memory into laptop

Create Win95b boot floppy.

Boot from it, fdisk, "n" to large disk support, create 1900Mb primary partition, set it as active.

Boot from floppy, format c:/s

Boot from USB stick and copy Win95OSR2.5 source files to c:\win95, and Win 98 Upgrade files to c:\win98seu

Boot from HD, "c:\win95\setup.exe /IS", run through install and reboot (using a well-crafted msbatch.inf file, the install takes about 2 minutes)

Boot into Win95, open Windows Explorer, find c:\win98seu\setup.exe, and run through install.

Going that way gets me a reliable install every time.

Next, install Intel chipset drivers and video drivers

After installing the Unofficial Win 98 sp3, I can put my full 1Gb of memory back into it and go and install all of the various drivers and whatnot