End user Licence Agreement?

Roffen

I bought an original MS WIndows XP Sp3 CD (with sticker) "For Refurbished PCs" - but when trying to install I am told that "Setup Cannot FInd the End User Licence Agreement." I assume that means there isn't anything I can do in order to use that disk?

ETA:

I made a complaint  at eBay that will be relayed to the seller. eBay will step in if no agreeement for return or cancellation with the seller is obtained.

In the meantime I'll use the older disk that I have but I had a funny problem using Firefox so I'll have to reinstall and see if the problem is permanent.

Edited by Roffen

Are you - by any chance - attempting to install on a FAT32 (largish) disk partition?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/326673

Also check:

F.A.Q. - Why do I get the message "Setup cannot find the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA)"?

This message appears on starting of selfmade bootdisks with Microsoft Windows XP/2k/NT.

The message means that the setup program cannot find the file

%SetupSourcePath%\I386\EULA.TXT

where %SetupSourcePath% - value of the keyword SetupSourcePath in the file I386\TXTSETUP.SIF

What to do?

• Find out the value of the keyword SetupSourcePath in the file \I386\TXTSETUP.SIF (usually SetupSourcePath = "\")
  • Make sure the file %SetupSourcePath%\I386\EULA.TXT is present

jaclaz

i had to use Win7 to read the disk

EULA.TXT is there, and here is the relevant piece from the Txtsetup file:

spcdname = "Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 CD"
spcdtagfilei   = "\win51ip.sp3"

cd2name = "Windows XP Professional CD2"
cd2tagfilei = "\win51ip2"

[setupData]

SetupSourcePath = "\"
MajorVersion = 5
MinorVersion = 1
DefaultPath=\WINDOWS

OsLoadOptions = "/fastdetect /noguiboot /nodebug"

ForceScsi = 1
ForceDiskClass = 1
ForceCDRom = 1

I'd like to know, is there a workaround to the problem like an edit to the ISO file, or is return of the CD the only way out?

Must be one or the other, can't do both!

Edited by Roffen

I don't think I am capable of solving this problem.

I wonder if there is someone here that can help me out with that. I suggest creation of  an ISO file, doing the necessary edit, and burning back to a CD/DVD - or better, creating a Rufus stick.

But I don't have a clue about how to accomplish the necessary edit. I also find it strange that an original OS CD is useless unless some smart guy can fix it.

There is nothing particularly difficult in creating a .iso file (or creating a USB stick that can boot it, though whether to use Rufus or another tool more "deidicated" to XP is to be considered).

The issue here may be that for *some* reason the "original" disc has some defect and thus is not a "good source".

Simply get IMGBURN:

http://www.imgburn.com/

then you Read the original disc saving it as an image file.

Then you Write the image file to a new CD/DVD.

The .iso image file can be used "as is" by a number of USB tools, I would recommend trying RMprepusb:

http://www.rmprepusb.com/tutorials/install-xp-from-an-iso

at first.

jaclaz

@Roffen, just to cover all bases, would you please describe the HDD you are trying to install to, (size and how it is formatted and by what method), ie:

Are you - by any chance - attempting to install on a FAT32 (largish) disk partition?
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/326673

Probably not the problem, but...

Cheers and Regards

Been very busy today, expect to be back tomorrow with status report.

Tomorrow is today, and I'm back. Had ea hell of a time yesterday, I made a total celanup of the interior of my pc and  just when I thought everything was oaky, the computer was stone dead But then it was past bedtime for me so I took (seldom do) a pill, was afraid motherbord, ps and disks all were gone But today I got it all back up and running again. A power connector on a SATA disk was askew and I thougt it might have shorted some power lines. So there's been a lot of work, but now the XP from my new CD is up and running on a 500GB Sata drive salvaged from a MyBook that went kaput on me sometime back.

So for the time being it looks like jaclaz may bask in another case of vindication.

I haven't tried the original disk again but I wonder why a copy should be better than the original?

Anyway, P.T. I have no apparent problems but I expect soon to find some new ones, problems have become the order of day for me. First thing I want to try is to install latest version SP4.

Cheers!

Edited by Roffen