Blew up my PSU.

R600

Hi all.

A while back I used to use a 250W psu with my mobo. However, when I added a 2nd HD in the machine I think it overloaded the psu and everything stopped working.

I remember that the mobo didn't work when I purchased a new psu. Could anyone suggest which parts I can reuse from the old mobo? Do you think the CPU and RAM will still be fully functional or would they everything (CPU, mobo & RAM) have been blown up along with the psu?

I've put the old stuff back together again just now, but haven't connected the psu to it as it's being used in the new machine. Just want to find out if it's worth testing these stuff again.

hmm that's funny

i never heard of hdd blowing up the psu.

afaik u can't really know which part is still alive. it depends on the severity on the shortage. most often if the cpu is gone only cpu is gone.

but i mean if u're going to get another mobo why not just test on it? or u get a deal when u buy cpu+ram+mobo together or something?

Yeah, the thing is, I got the new mobo with cpu + RAM so didn't try the old cpu on the new mobo. As for the RAM I can't test them because they are SDRAM 133MHz sticks as opposed to the DDR RAM the mobo supports now.

I decided to connect the old stuff today, but nothing happens when I press the power button. I'm wondering if it's only the mobo that's gone.

One thing I want to ask is, if the cpu or RAM fails, will the machine still power up? Coz there's no activity at all on this granny machine.

usually u'll get an annoying beep sound from the pc speakers if something is out of order. (at least my asus mb once did that when i was playing with the rams that i got (turned out to be faulty rams))

well, did u plug the PSU in properly to the Mobo? anyways this properly wont help but still, try troubleshooting your system..

take out your video card, ram except for the first bar, thats if u had more than 1 bar of ram, and everything else except a HDD.. now make sure the power is connected and turn it on.. if theres no power, PSU is dead.. but if it powers up and you get beeps, that will identify that the bios cannot detect graphics card.. now if ur getting success, what u then do is go through everything step by step.. add another stick of ram and turn it on again.. if that still works add the other stick(if u had more), then your CD drive, then graphics card.. its a step by step process.. never add more than one item per boot.. then say if it doesnt boot, then u know , that last item u added, maybe the problem.. hope that may help you or others troubleshooting..

well, did u plug the PSU in properly to the Mobo? anyways this properly wont help but still, try troubleshooting your system..

take out your video card, ram except for the first bar, thats if u had more than 1 bar of ram, and everything else except a HDD.. now make sure the power is connected and turn it on.. if theres no power, PSU is dead.. but if it powers up and you get beeps, that will identify that the bios cannot detect graphics card.. now if ur getting success, what u then do is go through everything step by step.. add another stick of ram and turn it on again.. if that still works add the other stick(if u had more), then your CD drive, then graphics card.. its a step by step process.. never add more than one item per boot.. then say if it doesnt boot, then u know , that last item u added, maybe the problem.. hope that may help you or others troubleshooting..

mobo is dead.

Tried new psu on it already.