Win 10 Stability

NoelC

There is a thread on this forum here that describes how to do it.  The key post is 26

I went through several iterations where I tried to use DISM as described in the first posts in that thread, but in the end it was the altering of the InInbox field in the sql database file StateRepository-Machine.srd that helped push me over the edge to success. 

The two remaining App packages are all that seem required to run the Settings App and to have the Notification / Action Center slide-out work.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

I'm beginning to think that OS Build 10586.63 may be approaching stability.  4 days up and counting.

Old PCs going from Win 7 to Win 10 (10586.63) this week have done so cleanly.  Might this be a trend?

Just when I thought a trend was starting, a power outage took the PC down.  Instability from another direction.

Updated VirtualBox and Guest additions to 5.0.14.  Win 10 seemed OK so did a Java update.  Win 10 stalled!?  Hard power down and back up to get control again.  Got Java updated.  Did a Win 10 restart just to clean up the software.  Up time meter is back to a few hours.  Stability index slid back down a ways.  About like the stock market.

running some older junk software on win 10 Pro

Noticed win 10 seems like it can repair itself, have not needed

to use installation disk repair thingy. 

Did some backups restores with software that I know

can mess with hard drives, minor errors, win 10 boots, corrected them.

no blue screens yet, did have this...

use onenote 2016 alot. Open it, think win 10 closed it and re-opended onenote.

Might have been a file error, forgot to check those error logs, when it occured

On win 7, probably would need to reboot, if above occurred.

my 2 cents

With the latest Stall of Windows 10, a question came to mind.  Is it possible that programmers or code generating programs have set up instructions that branch on self?  I was of the understanding that good software was interrupt driven.  Interrupts make sure that no branch on self can occur that could establish a "Stall" in the software.  I've noticed that Windows 10 does not respond to the Cnt-Alt-Del key combination.  I find it hard to believe but the "Stall" looks like a no-interrupt software loop.  Please, tell me that it can not happen in Windows 10.  I know there are a lot of hardware/software/programmer people in this forum.  I guess that I just need a little reassurance that the deck is really full.

There is no such thing as "cannot happen".

An application should not be able to crash or hang the system.  Just bear in mind that "should not" is not the same as "cannot".

Driver software - which I imagine to be the source of many/most of the problems - can easily crash or hang or corrupt the system.

Operating system software actually has to be very robust.  You can't just have some dipsy application programmer throw together some code and make it part of an operating system.  Well you CAN, but you just get an unstable system if you allow that.

Thing is, those in the know have been saying for a long time that this business of Microsoft continually changing the code and re-releasing an in-place upgrade every 4 months will never allow the system to stabilize.  Even if Microsoft could pull it off internally, think of the ongoing stress on driver makers, anti-virus makers, etc.

So, if you're having crash/hang problems, you should probably try to seek out the best drivers you can, and just get used to your system not being as stable as Windows has been in past years.  Backups have always been important, and they are now more than ever.

That being said, the OS itself, without much add-on software and with a lot of its own unneeded components specifically disabled or removed, lightly used, DOES seem to be pretty stable for me...

ReliabilityMonitor_20160126.png

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

For me, an OS is stable enough if it can run for a full month of your typical everyday's use :) If it doesn't slow down, throw some obscure errors or flat out crashes, it's good enough.

Edited by Octopuss

We're close to being on the same page.

An OS is "stable enough" if it doesn't crash AT ALL, is protected from ill-behaved applications, never loses or corrupts data, doesn't have quirks where you have to worry about doing certain activities together, and you never have to reboot it because for every open there's a close coded, and for every allocate there's a deallocate (everything from Microsoft before NT violated this last one).

This is nothing special.  We've already seen this level of quality in Win 8.1 and earlier.  Microsoft cannot be allowed to get away with one bit less stability/quality going forward.

-Noel

"So, if you're having crash/hang problems, you should probably try to seek out the best drivers you can, and just get used to your system not being as stable as Windows has been in past years.  Backups have always been important, and they are now more than ever.

That being said, the OS itself, without much add-on software and with a lot of its own unneeded components specifically disabled or removed, lightly used, DOES seem to be pretty stable for me...

ReliabilityMonitor_20160126.png

-Noel"

Thanks for the path to the Reliability Monitor.  Your system is very stable compared to mine.  In a similar time frame, my system had 15 critical events.  The blue line ranged between 1 and 5.  Of the 15 events, 8 were the Stall which required the manual power down to regain control.  Those events showed no system reason, only the power down event.  You may have indicated in prior posts that application updates were occurring that were not logged as updates under windows update.  The information events under Reliability Monitor supplied that record.  The other 7 critical events showed various system services that stopped.  None were driver related that I could see.  I did go back into settings and prune a few more windows software items that I missed earlier.  I wonder about VirtualBox as well with its interaction with the guest Windows 10?

-Bud