Windows XP CD Copy - Copy or Drag Files

Monroe

While searching for something else, I came across this article about being able to drag files to the CD burner icon to burn to a CD. I use an older Nero version and never knew this. I post this in case someone else also wasn't aware of this feature and might have use for it.

Copy or drag the files or folders to be recorded to the CD-R drive icon, or right-click on the files or folders and select Send To, Writable CD.

http://www.seniorsguidetocomputers.com/backup.asp

Windows XP CD Copy

Windows XP has CD-Recordable (CD-R) disc burning support for most CD writers.

First set your CD-recording options:

Open "My Computer"

Right-click your CD-R drive and select "Properties". See figure BK-1.

Select the "Recording" tab (if this tab isn't available, your device doesn't support CD burning).

Check the box to "Enable CD recording on this drive".

Select the drive to hold the temporary files (before the system burns a CD-R disc, the system writes the files to be recorded to an intermediary area - this area must have enough free space to hold an entire CD's content).

Select the CD recording speed (Fastest, 4X, 2X, and 1X).

Select whether to eject the media after recording.

Click OK.

Perform the following steps to record to a CD-R:

Insert a blank CD-R disc into your CD burner.

Copy or drag the files or folders to be recorded to the CD-R drive, or right-click on the files or folders and select Send To, Writable CD.

After you have copied all the files, select the CD-R drive from "My Computer" and you'll see the waiting files as "Files to add to the CD."

Right-click the CD-R drive, and select Write to CD.

Enter a name for the CD-R disc, and click Next.

The files will be written to the CD-R disc.

After the system writes all the files, it will eject the CD-R disc (if you chose that option above).

Click Finish.

This is a good way to make identical copies of your files and folders. The CD will be readable by any computer. But backing up large amounts of data is much easier if you use dedicated CD/DVD burning software.

Edited by monroe

ImgBurn will do everything ISO Recorder does plus a whole lot more - like DVDs and BluRays, authoring, etc, at whatever speed your hardware can support. It is compatible up to W8 (not sure about W10) and even all the way back to W95! I prefer version 2.5.7 (only one version back from current) moreso than the latest since it does not come packaged with the OpenCandy adware. Just scroll a little farther down the page for the older versions. Watch out for checkboxes to be cleared during install, to avoid the toolbars. Way better than buggy old Nero, and free, too.

http://www.imgburn.com/

Yes, thank you, we already are well aware of ImgBurn as a free software. However, the only drawback is it's (apparently) not Open Source and still has some drawbacks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ImgBurn

I just "plugged in" the ISO Recorder (to the topic and yes, kind of Off-Topic) as a simplistic "dumb function" Add-On to the Built-In XP (SPTI) Burn functionality. It's Open Source and not really that clever (AFAICT) compared to ImgBurn.